Yamaha DSP-1A

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Co, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Mike Co

Mike Co Agent

Any opinions on this amp? How does it compare to the current crop of 6.1 and 7.1 integrated amps on the market today? Question comes from whether it's worth paying $500 for it or for a 6 or 7.1 system. Speaker set up is Boston Acoustics Micro-90 5.1 system and don't have a lot of $ to burn.

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Mike, you might want to think about DPLII (older processor/amps like the A1 won't have this) it does wonderful things with stereo-only sources [​IMG]

3. eli

eli Extra

hello mike co get yamaha rx-v1400 awesome receiver

4. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I have a DSP-A1, and I paid more than $2000 for it when they first came out. It has been very reliable and always sounds great. If you would be satisfied with a 5.1 system, it would be a very good choice.

As additional pluses, it has a AC3 RF input for a AC3 equiped laser disc player AND a very good phono input.

On the minus side, it is an Integrated Amp, not a Receiver, so there is no built-in AM/FM tuner. When I bought mine, the dealer threw in a very good Yamaha tuner, the TX-950, but they are VERY hard to find now.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

While it does not have all the latest rear-center outputs, the A1 was a flagship receiver selling for over $2500. I have one now and it is great.

If you can get one in good condition for $500 - I'd go for it.

PS: If you dont want it, tell us who is selling it for $500 [​IMG]

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

8. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Although I do not have a Yamaha DSP-1A, I do have a Yamaha DSP-1 (processor only) that I purchased new back in 1987 and still use today!

Even though I now have a Anthem AVM20, I still use the Yamaha on some music material as it does an excellent job and is extremely flexible in terms of tweaking different surround modes.

If i recall correctly, the DSP-A1 was highly regarded when it was introduced.

JimmyK