What's new

Yamaha DSP-1A (1 Viewer)

Mike Co

Agent
Any opinions on this amp? How does it compare to the current crop of 6.1 and 7.1 integrated amps on the market today? Question comes from whether it's worth paying $500 for it or for a 6 or 7.1 system. Speaker set up is Boston Acoustics Micro-90 5.1 system and don't have a lot of $ to burn.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Mike, you might want to think about DPLII (older processor/amps like the A1 won't have this) it does wonderful things with stereo-only sources :)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I have a DSP-A1, and I paid more than $2000 for it when they first came out. It has been very reliable and always sounds great. If you would be satisfied with a 5.1 system, it would be a very good choice.

As additional pluses, it has a AC3 RF input for a AC3 equiped laser disc player AND a very good phono input.

On the minus side, it is an Integrated Amp, not a Receiver, so there is no built-in AM/FM tuner. When I bought mine, the dealer threw in a very good Yamaha tuner, the TX-950, but they are VERY hard to find now.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
While it does not have all the latest rear-center outputs, the A1 was a flagship receiver selling for over $2500. I have one now and it is great.

If you can get one in good condition for $500 - I'd go for it.

PS: If you dont want it, tell us who is selling it for $500 :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
When I bought mine, the dealer threw in a very good Yamaha tuner, the TX-950, but they are VERY hard to find now.
They “threw” in a 950?? Holy cow, that’s one of the best tuners Yamaha ever made! You should see the prices they get on eBay. I have one too – awesome tuner. A shame I don’t really have a use for radio anymore.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
They “threw” in a 950?? Holy cow, that’s one of the best tuners Yamaha ever made! You should see the prices they get on eBay. I have one too – awesome tuner. A shame I don’t really have a use for radio anymore.
Yep, but they charged me full price for the DSP-A1, so we were both happy. I have always bought receivers, never separate tuners, from my first Sansui 881 on. The TX-950 is definitely in the upper echelon; it's too bad that AM/FM stations suck so bad. The only time I use the tuner is for some NPR stations that play jazz in the evenings.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Although I do not have a Yamaha DSP-1A, I do have a Yamaha DSP-1 (processor only) that I purchased new back in 1987 and still use today!

Even though I now have a Anthem AVM20, I still use the Yamaha on some music material as it does an excellent job and is extremely flexible in terms of tweaking different surround modes.

If i recall correctly, the DSP-A1 was highly regarded when it was introduced.

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks