Yamaha DDP-1 RF Demodulator-just got one not sure how to hook up

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tony Int, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Tony Int

Tony Int Agent

Hello,

I did a search but did not find anything that addressed my question. I just got a sweet deal ($31) on a Yamaha DDP-1 RF Demodulator for the AC-3 output on my laserdisc player. I know how to hook it up to my receiver using the multi-channel connections, but do I still need to connect the laserdisc player to the receiver via it's optical out and the red/white analog connections or does the AC-3 output everything?

Thanks.

T.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    You will need to continue using the TosLink digital and analogue stereo interconnects. If you connect the LaserDisc player and receiver solely by the AC3 RF cable you won't be able to listen to the PCM or analogue AFM soundtracks on your non-Dolby Digital LaserDiscs: the RF output carries Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital only.

Adam

3. Tony Int

Tony Int Agent

Thanks Adam. Since the item is used it did not have the users manual and I wasn't sure if it would damage the unit/laserdisc player/receiver if I hooked them all up to test.

I cannot wait to test the AC-3 soundtracks on the laserdisc as I have read here that they are often equal to or better than dvd.

T.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The only risk of damage -- and it's a remote one -- would be if you switched your receiver to the analog connections while playing a disc with an AC-3 track. On an analog connection, the AC-3 track will play as static and noise, and if the volume is high enough, it could theoretically damage your speakers.

M.

5. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    Tony enjoy those big discs. If you have Saving Private Ryan give it a spin, it's still an awesome sondtrack.
    Regards
    Al

6. Tony Int

Tony Int Agent

Al,

I do have hundreds of discs as I have been buying them since around 89, but this is the first time I have a chance to experience the AC-3 audio. I don't have Private Ryan, but will be on the look out for it. Any other suggestions on what I should lose my laserdisc AC-3 virginity to??[​IMG]

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

The old standard that a lot of us "lost it" with was True Lies.

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Players with an AC-3 out jack will only play back the left analog track on AC3 discs, so you don't hear the noise on the right channel. I don't think it could damage your speakers, it sounds like pink noise in a certain key (don't remember the names of the musical notes right now). [​IMG]

A proper setup should have a total of 3 audio connections- AC3, PCM/DTS, and analog.

9. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Other than Saving Private Ryan, I would recommend Star Wars Episode I the Phantom Menace and Mission Impossible I. The Star Wars LD is the most powereful soundtrack I've ever heard and it blows away the DVD. I also have the Saving Private Ryan and find it better than both the DD DVD and the DTS DVD.

10. Tony Int

Tony Int Agent

I do have True Lies so I will give that a spin hopefully this weekend. I will search for the Star Wars Episode I disc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will start a new thread asking for suggestions in the Software section.

T.

11. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    Tony, some other titles to try Id4, Broken Arrow, Terminator II, Last of the Mohicans, Crimson Tide, Ronin also the Star Wars Trilogy SE box set
    Enjoy
    Al

12. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

If you can find a copy of U-571 it is a treat though I think it is a Japan only release like SW:TPM.

13. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

You can download the DDP-1 manual as a PDF from Yamaha's website. If you can't find it, email me via HTF and I will send it to you as an attachment.