What's new

Yamaha Cinema DSP...opinions? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. Just curious to know what everyone thinks of Yamaha's CinemaDSP modes? I have an HTR-5280 (RX-V800) and I have been experimenting with them. I think some are actually kind of cool in that it makes me feel like I am in an actual theatre. I love the Mono Movie for old films. I also love the 70mm General because of the huge ambiance of an old large theatre. Any thoughts on these modes? Of course, I love the Normal mode. :)
Aaron Garman

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Aaron

If you like the DSP modes that is all that matters. I was impressed with a Yamaha demo some years ago but decided against Yamaha for several reasons. One reason being that a lot of reviewers said that straight surround processing is the way to go. But these same people would probably also say not to use tone controls.

You are happy with your Yamaha, leave well enough alone.

Artie

Antlue

Auditioning
I have the RXV3000 - with numerous (49 - I think) DSP modes.

My opinion ?? I am amazed with the technology that yamaha has included with all their AV Receivers. The ability to switch between various DSP modes to allow different sonic presentations with the same piece of music is quite amazing. now if they only have DSP's for some of the more famous opera venues throughout the world - like L'opera in paris or other famous venues like Carnege Hall in NY.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I use the disco mode with all of the reverb turned down when I'm having a party and want background music.

DJ

Trevor_J

Second Unit
My 2092 stays on Dolby Digital Enhanced when watching DVD's. As far as the music modes go, I found them fun for a while when I first got my reciever, but I haven't used them in 4 years.

John Royster

Screenwriter
IMHO yamaha does some of the best DSP around. I can't stand DSP for music but the yammys do a very good job of it.
If I owned a yamaha would I use them? probably not, but that still doesn't mean they can't sound very good. and heck, sometimes it's just fun to play around with your favorite CDs. :)

EdS

Agent
I have the 2095, when I use the DSP modes for music I tend to use the Jazz dsps. I've turned them down from their default settings, I think that with some recordings the DSPs can enhance, even improve them; however not all recordings benefit from the DSPs.

For DVD's I tend to use the Enhanced Mode and sometimes the General Cinema mode for TV watching. Sometimes the Video Concert modes are useful for watching music videos and concerts.

Experiment with the DSP settings, if you like the way they sound you should use them. Yamaha probably is the leader in DSP modes, short of Lexicon.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
The DSP modes were one of the main reasons I decided to get A Yammy to begin with. I recently upgraded from the RX-V3000 to the RX-V3200 and am enjoying it immensely!:)
My favourite modes include the SPECTACLE mode for big epic type films like GLADIATOR and of course the addition of the DTS-ES discrete rear-center signal helps. I recently bought a Nintendo Gamecube with the James Bond game Agent Under Fire and enjoy experimenting with the GAME setting also. Enjoy those sound modes!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks