Yamaha Center EQ question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brad Russell, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Brad Russell

Brad Russell Stunt Coordinator

After setting up my BFD this weekend I'm thinking I'd like to tackle some of the EQs available in my A-1. Has anybody come up with a way to messure and adjust the Center EQ? I was thinking of using some test tones and plotting them on for the center channel and the main channels, then using the Center EQ to bring them closer. But I haven't thought of a way to switch back and forth. Yamaha just gives you white noise and suggestes you do it by ear. Anybody successfully done this?

Thanks!

Brad

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Get an external signal source, like a test CD, and it will be a piece of cake. [​IMG]

3. Brad Russell

Wayne could you explain a little more? I'm thinking you would need a set of right/left tracks and another set encoded to play in the center channel. Am I making this harder than it should be?

Thanks!

Brad

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Any test CD will do center channel - just turn on Dolby Pro-Logic. For that matter, it may work with the Yamaha's internal signal as well - give it a shot. [​IMG]

5. Brad Russell

Maybe I'm being dim here but wouldn't you want to be able to just run the mains and plot them and then run the center and plot those? Maybe I'm missing something but what I think what you are describing will put the center and mains together.

Thanks again!

Brad

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It can't hurt, but it's probably overkill if all you're going to use is the center channel EQ. It only has a few graphic-styled filters (if yours is like my like my older DSP-A3090). My Yamaha manual explains that the center EQ is only for helping with timbre-matching to the main speakers. It's not designed nor is it powerful enough to do the kind of full-range precision EQing that the BFD can do (not that you would want that thing doing full-range). I just set mine by ear. I was able to get an approximation of the setting of the 1/3-octave EQ I normally have for the center (which is down for repairs at the time).

I believe there is also a Cinema EQ function for all speakers, too, right? You can do some additional EQing there. It has some limited parametric adjustments, so it might be worthwhile there to plot all the speakers. The available EQing is limited, however, so expect to only be able to adjust a couple of problems.

With mine the downside of the Cinema EQ is that it adjusts the L/C/R speakers together as a whole. There's no separate adjustment for the center.

7. Brad Russell

Thanks Wayne for the explanation on the Mono DPL thing. I have been to busy to acctually try it, but hoping to this weekend. I was thinking of only using the sine waves with the frequencies that the Center EQ offers.(Anything wrong witht that?)

I guess I need to better understand the functin of the Cenema EQ. I thought it was for fixing brightness, not matching speakers. I guess I'll be curling up with the manual tonight.

Thanks again for all your help!

Brad