Yamaha C940

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Adam.Gonsman, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone had a chance to audition this unit yet? It doesn't seem to be getting much attention. It looks very respectable on paper especially for a sub $500 player.

What are the shortcomings? I've heard things about how the C920 can't be turned on by remote. Does the 940 have the same problem? What about bass maneagement?

How is this going to compare to the S2300 from Yamaha or the Denon 2900? I like the idea of the C940 since it's a changer, but what are the compromises that have been made to get it all the way down into it's current price range?

I haven't had a chance to go to my local dealer yet and see the unit. Just wondering if any of you have thoughts on it.

2. Adam.Gonsman

I guess I should also ask how this compares to some of the other single disc players in its range like the Pioneer 45a? Pioneer seems to be really fond of pushing the fact that they have triple dacs (although is would seem not burr browns in the 45a?) Does this make any sort of difference?

3. Adam.Gonsman

ok, apparently the 45a does have burr brown dacs, pioneer just doesn't bother listing them as such on their site. Anyway, the rest of my questions still stand.

4. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

Hey, just picked up this player w/ Faroudja DCDI and SACD playback at my local pawnshop. I can't find anything about it online, no reviews, etc. All I've really found is on the Yamaha website it is a current model and retails for $499. Does anyone have anymore info? I'm going to test it out and I will post back here when I find out more...

5. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I own a C920, it also has the Burr Brown dac's and the Faroudja v-chip.I have been pleased with this unit's video and audio performance.My nit picks would be slow disc change times and the inability to turn unit on by remote.I guess I should have noticed the fact the remote wouldn't power the unit up, but I couldn't help but assume Yamaha would make available a convienence that every $30 player has.If You set up macros to control Your system,this player is a pain.

6. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

Hey, so here's the deal. I picked this unit up at my local pawn shop for only $110. I tested all I could there in the store, as their return policy is store credit only (and they won't lower prices if they know you have a store credit)... Alas, when I got it home, I found out the progressive out has a problem with the chip, probably. The picture stutters around bad. It is not on the interlaced out, though. In any case, I'm thinking I still got a good deal on an interlaced dvd player w/ SACD playback w/ bass mgmt., burr-brown dacs, and changer capability for $110. I sure wish the Faroudja chip worked though... Anyway, should I keep it anyway or return it for a store credit? I'm thinking I'll probably keep it

7. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I believe I would keep the player. I have only noticed slight differences using the progressive on my Pioneer wide screen.The other features you mention certainly are worth more than what You paid. imo.