What's new

Yamaha AV Recievers (1 Viewer)

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
Why does Yamaha refuse to split the sixth channel? I just upgraded from an Onkyo TXDX 797 to a Yamaha RX-V3300. I love the great clean sound but wish I could get 7.1 instead of 6.1. I do realize there really is no 7.1, however, I sure do like the signal being split.

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
your only option would be to buy a separate two channel amp and split the signal.

-Vic

You can easily connect 2 Surround-Back speakers to the single speakeroutput, and the result will be the same.
Only consern is that the speakers you use should not have to low impedance, 8 ohm is preferable. Not sure if this is a matter of consern if you don`t play extremely loud, though.

I have a Yamaha DSP-AZ2 myself (a tunerless non-US version of RX-V3300), and use this setup.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Does that then split the wattage in half?
Actually, depending how you wire the speakers together will only effect how the AV REC/AMP handles the speaker load (ohms).

To keep the speaker load above 8 ohms, you must hook them up in "series".

Once you install your speakers in the rear Center R&L location, hook them up as follows:

1) AV REC Rear Center - (NEG) wire > Left rear Center - (NEG)

2) Left rear Center + (POS) > Right rear Center - (NEG)

3) Right rear Center + (POS) > AV REC rear Center + (POS)

The following diagram, from this linked website (see Series Hookup) ...

NOTE: Parallel vs. Series:

- Hooking two 8 ohm speakers rated together in "parallel" will equal an 4 ohm load, and if your Rear Channel AMP can handle this load, you may want to try it.

- Hooking two 8 ohm speakers rated together in "series" will equal an 16 ohm load, a very easy load for your AMP to handle.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks