What's new

Yamaha and Paradigm (1 Viewer)

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone,
I have a Yamaha RXV730 and currently using Paradigm Mini Monitors as my main speakers.

Well time has come to upgrade, and Im thinking of going to Studio 60, or Maybe monitor 9s or 11s.

I've heard some bad things about Yamaha and Paaradigm combo being too bright, but also some people saying it has worked very well.

Would this be a fairly good match untill I upgrade my AMP section? (Not really sure when that may happen)

Should I look elsewhere for speakers, maybe B&W? Keep in mind that I live in Canada and can get a very good deal with Paradigm, not to mention the fact that I think my current Mini Monitors sound very good compared to many other combinations Ive listened to.

Thanks for the Input.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Jack,

I remember back in the days when I first got into 5.1 audio with a Yamaha RX-V495 and Mini Monitor setup. It was bright. Though I have heard Yamaha improved on this with later models. If you don't find your Mini Monitors bright with your Yamaha now I don't think you find them bright with the Studio's or others in the Monitor line. I will stress that you should get a amp to power at least the fronts/center of your new speakers. 75w out of the Yamaha just won't do the Studio's justice. If you do go into the Studio line I would suggest getting the 40's with a good sub over the 60's.

Kevin

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
I already have a sub. ESB Allighnent Shiva, in fact.
I considered the Studio 40's, but Im just not a speaker stand person; for the price of the 40's and good stands, I may as well get the 60s.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I also have Monitor 9's and Mini Monitors, and recently upgraded my main room. I would suggest going with Studio 60's if you intend to upgrade your center and rear's to Studio's.

Do your mini's sound to bright for your tastes on that Yamaha? If not the Studio's should be fine. If so, the studio's will be slightly more "precise" which can be attributed to brightness.

I would suggest the 9's or 11's if you aren't going studio all around in you "future upgrades".

Also don't neglect other brands because you own paradigms.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Well, of course, a lot of this depends on who you ask. I'm running studio 40s, v2 with my RX-V2200 and I wouldn't say it's bright at all. But that's beside the point, if you like the sound of your yammie with the monitors, then you'll like the sound with the studios even more. I suppose the only real question is, would there be a speaker that you would like even more so? Perhaps, but only you can decide that really.

the only real issue with the 730 and studios (and even more so with B&Ws) might be power. Some say even my RX-V2200 isn't enough for my 40's, but to my ear it sounds good. Sure, with a better amp you'd push the speakers that much more, no question about it. Of course, the 730 does have pre-amp outputs, right? In that case you can always use an out-board stereo amp for your mains. This way, you have an upgrade path that can lead you to seperates if you like.

- Mike

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have been using Monitor 7s with my Yamaha 795 for over 5 years and have always liked the sound. I will soon be pairing my Monitor 7s with the Yamaha 2400. It is all in your own ears as to what sounds best to you.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
While I'm not a huge Paradigm fan, I will say that the 40's are the steal of their lineup IMHO. The last pair I heard(v2's) sounded better than the 60's. The 80's didn't impress me at all and then I heard the 100's. I didn't like them enough to buy them but I still think that if you can't afford the 100's then I'd buy the 40's if you wish to go the Paradigm route.

The others are giving you solid advice in regards to the receiver aspects.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

I'm not sure the price difference between the 40's and 60's but for me it was 40's and 20's with 2pr FREE stands that swung the deal.

Kevin

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
Are you planning to upgrade ALL speakers?

If yes then I would go with the Studio 60s (or 40s if it saved you any $). If you are ONLY upgrading the fronnts what are your current surrounds?

You could move the Minis to the rear add a CC370 and have a well matech Monitor system. Personally (unless you have a REALLY big room) I'd go Monitor 7s over the 9s or 11s. All the money you save with the 7s could go to a separate AMP or new DVD etc.

Sinbad

Auditioning
My neighbour has used his Studio 60's with a Yamaha rx-v995 for a couple of years and they sounded great. He just upgraded to the RX-v2400 and he's even happier. I've got monitor 7's and right now use a HK avr110 and I find they sound great also. (Moving up to a Denon 3803 shortly though)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks