Yamaha 995 sub-out question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_S, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Paul_S

Paul_S Auditioning

I am using the LFE signal from my Yamaha 995 receiver. The manual says that it has a cut off of 90 HTz. I want to cut off it to 80htz. Is there any way I can do this or will I just have to use the speaker terminals instead of the sub out LFE channel.

2. Francois L

Francois L Stunt Coordinator

Hi, the difference between 90 and 80 Hz will not be significative.Also the LFE output of the Yamaha is not filtered, it is limited by the LFE track on the DVD. What is filtered at 90 Hz is the bass from the other channels redirected to the sub by the bass management circuit.There is a lot of people that is mixing the LFE output and the sub output. Regards.
    ------------------
    "My god, it`s full of stars!"

3. Paul_S

Paul_S Auditioning

So can I use the crossover on my Paradigm PW2200 to overide the 90htz on my Yamaha 995 receiver?

4. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

>Is there any way I can do this or will I just have to use the speaker terminals instead of the sub out LFE channel.<
    You will have to use the speaker Terminals (High level Ouput) to the sub and then connect your mains to the sub. Remember in this case you will want to redirect the LFE channel to the mains and run the mains large in the 995 setup. I am not sure if this is really worth the effort but feel free to experiment.
    Good Luck
    Bob

5. Francois L

No, because I think there is no speakers output connections (High level) on the Paradigm PW2200. But why do you want to change the turnover of the Yamaha filter?
    ------------------

6. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

Here are the specs on the PW-2200 there are indeed high level speaker inputs AND outputs, which are filtered by the sub's own crossover. So, yes you can do this. The question is, why do you want to? It most likely won't make much difference.
    If you do it though, as someone else posted, make sure to set the 995's subwoofer settings to "none" or "off" or whatever the setting is. Then, make sure that the setting for LFE and bass signals that are filtered from channels set to "small" are sent to the "MAIN" speakers. The Yamaha will not let you do this unless you have your main speakers set to "large" so make sure to do that, too.
    ------------------
    -Kieran
    My HT Page

7. Francois L

Kieran, I was wrong. The specs of the PW2200 that I had did not show the speakers level output.
    ------------------