What's new

Yamaha 8" 100-Watt Powered Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
What's the situation? No cash, but need a sub?

How much can you spend? Room size?

Knowing what I know, (AIN'T MUCH!) I'd pass regardless of price unless it makes you happy!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
It's probably ok for general use at lower levels, but it won't go deep and it won't go very loud...

Just for kicks I picked up the YST-320 10" 250w (yeah RIGHT, more like 30w) and used it for a week while I picked out a real sub. It was ok for music at 80db max, but NO output below 33hz and anything louder than 'loud' made it fart like a cow (port noise).

Think real hard about putting your money on it. Can you live with the limitations?

John Carl

Auditioning
The room is 13' x 19' with a Sony 51" wide on the short wall. I purchased a Kenwood HTB-705DV but the sub is inadequate. I have a limited budget (WIFE). What should I get.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Or possibly the $99 DLS 10" from Parts Express...

The Sony is a solidly reviewed sub, many good experiences.

I'm sure either will knock the Yammy out in the first round.

Good Luck!

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't recommend the yamaha yst-sw105 for home theater. It just can't go loud and it can't do anything below 40hz.

I use one for computer audio and it works fine for it considering that I don't crank up the volume when the speakers are 3 feet away.

I think someone is selling a used Home Theater Direct subwoofer over at the hardware for sale board. I think it is goin for about $160. That would probably be your best bet.

John Carl

Auditioning
I think someone is selling a used Home Theater Direct subwoofer over at the hardware for sale board. I think it is goin for about $160. That would probably be your best bet.
I found the sub you mentioned. It is an HTD Level 3 powered sub. Anyone have any comments about it.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
OH....just make sure you ask the seller if it features binding post terminals on the amp (it should since it is only a few weeks old).....if so...than it is the newer amp and you should go for it.....i've heard of problems with the older amp which has spring clips

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
That's strange because I just bought an 8" 100W sub just yesterday for my computer.

Here is my suggestion. Save your money and wait until you can get a better sub. Or, save/aquire some money from somewhere else where you would have spent it (like something you would have bought for yourself for example) and add that to the budget you have now and get a much better sub. For a 13'x19' room, try to get a half decent 12" sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Or possibly the $99 DLS 10" from Parts Express...
Spec for spec, the DLS is not much better than the Yamaha. DLS is only good to 30Hz, though with a 10" driver it may have more kick to it. I've been curious about this sub too, because I've been looking around for another cheap, smallish sub for another room. The Sony is fairly large, and definitely more bass than I need there.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
what 8" sub do you use for your computer neil? Also...what other components do you use for computer audio?

I've got the yamaha yst-sw105 sub....marantz 2235B receiver....and koss m/80+ bookshelf speakers....AR interconnects and 12g rockford speaker wire.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I got myself a Quest 8" 100W sub. The specs say 40Hz to 180Hz. I am using Infinity speakers up front. Keep in mind though, I have no 5.1 on my computer and I use just for 2 channel music CD's. It is all powered with a typical soundblaster live card.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
yeah i've got a cheapo soundblaster card too. all i use my setup for is audio cds as well. if you don't have digital audio extraction enabled i highly recommend you do so. it's either in device manager under your cd drives or control panel under multimedia. makes it so you use the soundcard as the DAC instead of the cd-rom. you've probably got it taken care of though.

Adam_R

Second Unit
I must agree with the "wait and get a better sub" crowd. I just replaced a Yamaha Dual 8" powered sub with an SVS 20-39PCi. The Yamaha can't keep up at all. Just try running The Haunting or Jurrasic Park at high levels. It's really pathetic. I would only recommend it for a camper or a very small dorm room, if that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks