What's new

Yamaha 7 Ch. owners....... (1 Viewer)

Jody_W

Auditioning
Just have a few q's.

Are you actually using speakers for your front surround?? I'm using an old pair of Bose 2.2's :b...with a Polk RTi and SVS set up for my 5.1 set-up...should I bother getting, say, RT25i's for the front surround?? Or just run the front surround through the mains?

What DSP mode do you use most often when watching DVD's?

I can notice some difference when removing the Bose...they're also 4 feet above and between the mains, even thought Yamaha reccommends them to be on the outside of the mains.....I just have no possible way of placing them anywhere else.

I am using the RXV 3000...if that matters....thanks.

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
I also have the RX-V3000

and I use the polk 25i as my effect speakers

as far as dvd's go, I play around, and do use action for the action movies, and general for the mostly dialougue movies,.etc..etc

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I have the RX-V1 and I'm using those little $50 Radio Shack speakers for the front surrounds while running Infiniti's all around for the 6.1 channels. Nothing really substantial comes out of those except for some echoing effects and it's just a mono signal split between the two speakers. I do notice a differnce when they're switched off though. I like the Adventure setting in the Movie Theater DSP section.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I have an ancient DSP-A3090, and I also like the 70mm Adventure setting for movies. I didn’t get my fronts exactly were Yamaha recommends, either. Mine are out beyond the mains, but only about a foot higher and probably less than 6-inches behind them. I do have matching speakers, though. I just thought it made sense to bet a better timbre match, just as with the front and rear speakers.

However, any way you slice it, having the fronts makes an audible difference in the soundfields – no matter how you set them up or what you use.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a proud DSP-A3090 owner as well. Based on the fact that I'm cramming my setup in an armoire, I had a severe size limitation. I'm using bookshelves for my fronts and rears. My center is a tradtional center. I'm using the small cubes from Cambridge Soundworks. Small little buggers, but they seem to work well with for fronts.

I use the 70mm Adventure setting all the time too. Seems to do well in my room (and I tweaked that one to fit the room).

Now the fun part... I put the front surrounds down about 1.5 feet off the ground. The mains are up above the TV along with the center. Using the front surrounds fills in the soundstage centering it more on the TV.

Rears are up high in the back corners.

I'm figuring I'll have to get another Yamaha. I really like their DSP and the front effects.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've had a 7 channel setup in three different homes so far and used the Yam 2095 previously and now the RX-V1. I set up the front effects as the book recommended. For speakers, I use the sat part of the JBL Music 1. Although subtle, they do make a difference. There is only a small amount of sound coming from them but on some movies, they really add depth and spaciousness. All other speakers are JBL and the sub is SVS. When I got the RXV1, I added a norh prism 4.1 for rear center duties (with the expectation of going with all norh in the future).

The dsps respond differently with the RXV1 than with the 2095. My fav continues to be Spectacle dts or sometimes General but I do change around a lot since some dvds sure sound different from "the standard". I can always find one that sounds good and disperses the sound well regardless of the audio mix on the dvd.

My personal opinion is that almost anything will work as front effect speakers and timbre matching is not as important. Placement will make a difference in how much effect they add. Extend them out beyond your mains if possible.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I have a DSP-A1, and I do use front effects speakers. ALL of my speakers are DIY, so the front effects are matched to some degree. Mine are placed as high, outside and behind the front mains as possible, but I really need a bigger room (make that a bigger house).

As far as DSP modes, I usually listen to DD DVDs in one of the 70MM modes, dts DVDs in enhanced dts, FM in Roxy Theater, TV in one of the TV modes that's not too echoey, and CDs in effects off. DTS CDs get the plain dts treatment.

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I have been using my 2095 for almost 3 years with the extra front surrounds and wouldn't go back to normal 5.1(unless I got paid alot of money). I have NHT supertwo mains, superone center and rear surrounds, and super zero front surrounds. My sz front surrounds are mounted on the wall behind the mains(mains are about 32 inches out from wall). Due to room constraints the sz's are only about 1.5 feet outside the mains(didn't want to get them too close to side walls) but I did mount them the recommended 6 feet off the floor.

I love this system with these speakers. Usually I use DD enhanced/Pro Logic enhanced/DTS enhanced, but have used the various other movie modes and found some of them very effective. My walls seem to disappear completely. I'm not completely sold on using them for music. I usually listen in 2ch or maybe prologic, depending on the way the cd behaves with the matrix decoding. I have even done some trial and error tweaking to the parameters for my room and setup-mainly to calm down some of the more outrageous effects.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
What is the enhanced mode doing in the lower models like my RX-V1200 or my brother's HR5450 since we do not have any front effects speakers. Is this the most basic mode (least signal altering) you can use to turn on the tri-field processing, or is Tri-field just what Yamaha calls their DPL, DD and DTS processing and its always on. I have been wondering this since I got my receiver.

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that the enhanced mode boosts the surrounds a little, and may do some other things but I don't notice much difference between regular and enhanced. The enhanced mode has nothing to do with 7ch stuff, it is on every yamaha receiver I have ever seen 5 or 7 channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks