What's new

Yamaha 6.1 Reciever Question (1 Viewer)

ChrisCamp

Auditioning
I have a yamaha 6.1 reciever (HTR-5740) i have it set to Neo 6 but sometimes sound doesnt play through the surround channels when im watching normal tv with the system on, watching dvd's its fine.

Also on the front panel it shows what speakers are connected and activated. It only shows L and R highlighted....i dunno if all six are supposed to be highlighted. Like i said it plays throught all 6 when watching dvds and sometimes when watching tv but only the two lcd L and R are active.

I dont really know how to explain it... sorry if there is any confusion. :confused:

Any help is appreciated...

great forums by the way.. learning alot
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator

There must be information in the sound mix that's sent to the rear channels in order for sound to be fed to them. For instance, if your watching a show that's dialouge-driven (most sit-coms and reality TV shows) then its unlikely that the audio mix contains any rear channel information. So unless your seeing action on TV (or your getting a 5.1DD feed through a HDTV set top) most of what you'll hear is from the front three channels.

John S

Senior HTF Member
If the normal TV just happens to come in mono, that is exactly what I would expect to happen.

Normal TV, even stations / programs that are normally in stereo / surround will from time to time give you nothing but mono.

I would suspect this is what is happening, if it only happens every now and then, or you find it happening on some channels / programs more than others.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Chris I have the same receiver and it also only shows the L&R speaker on the display. I believe this is correct as mine plays 5.1 accurately during dvd movies.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

You should not be using NEO:6 for DVDs, it should be set to "Auto" and the receiver should know if it is receiving a DD, DTS or stereo track from the player. NEO:6 is for stereo only, and if your receiver is defaulting to this DSP, your player's settings may incorrect. Are you using a digital (coaxial or optical) connection?

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
John, Dude. I own the Yamaha 5790 paired to a HDTV box and I use that decoder. Unless I'm watching a HDTV channel, all broadcasts are in DD 2-0 (Stereo). Based on the DTS Neo decoder's algorithm, it may decide to reproduce a 2.0 soundtrack in the rear channels based on what's happening on TV. So, if I'm watching ER, or West Wing, or any other dialouge-driven program, the rear channels stay silent. On the other hand, if I'm watching CSI: Las Vegas, or Third Watch, or other DD2.0 programming that involves action, then the rears come alive at the appropriate time. DTS Neo isn't a matrix decoder that sends signals to all connected loudspeakers all the time (like Stereo-7, for instance). Neo routes the signals to the appropriate speakers given what's happening on the television.

If a mono signal was fed to the Neo decoder, not only would the rears fall silent, ALL PROGRAM REPRODUCTION would come from the center channel irrespective of the program type or particular activity or scene. But If he's showing L/R in this display, then we are not considering a mono signal.

If his 5740 defaults to NEO for everything, then you should change the settings on your receiver so that the last decoder used isn't the default decoder selected upon next use. Check your owner's manual for that. Or it could be that you haven't selected the 5.1 soundtrack on your DVD player and so it's sending the 2.0 mix to your receiver. That is assuming you have your DVD connected by either Toslink or Digital Coax. One or the other is required to transmit a digital signal to your receiver. The red and black RCA-type cords won't do it.

Keep in mind that Neo is operational with 5.1 playback, although it is admittedly not the best decoder to use. However, if NEO 6 was applied over the top of DD5.1, you would have more than just the L & R showing in your display window so I don't think that applies here. So, basically, if your display window only shows L/R when watching TV and/or DVDs, your 5740 is getting only a stereo signal in each case. It is NOT getting a digital surround signal from a DTS or Dolby Digital sound track.

Sorry for the inappropriate verbage (i.e sound mix) in my initial post. It was an easy term to use to convey the message. That was lazy on my part BUT It was easier to use sound mix than to go into some elaborate pontification only to explain an uncomplicated concept.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My receiver, a Marantz 8300, does not allow you to apply NEO:6 to a DD5.1 or even a DTS 5.1 track, under any circumstances.

Stereo and Dolby Stereo are not the same thing, and not all stereo broadcasts are Dolby.

I recently setup a 5740 to correct exactly this issue.

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
Look man. I don't know about your Marantz. Just as you don't know about my Yamaha. In other words, what is true for your receiver isn't true for mine. Unless your machine and mine have the exact same decoder chip on the IC performing the same decoding function.

Algorithms. A bunch of numerical, formulaic code that defines what action is taken under a predefined set of circumstances. Nothing mysterious, my friend.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Software Engineer, here. Thanks, but I don't need a lesson on algoritms.:D I was just questioning how the algorithm applied to an audio stream can analyze what is happening in the video stream. I did not know the video was routed through the audio DSP, which is the only way it could be analyzing what is "on the television". Do you think maybe you meant to say it was looking for certain audio queues that may translate into simulated surround, rather than queues "on the television" that translate into simulated surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks