What's new

yamaha 5790 audio "hiccup" problem (1 Viewer)

howardHSH

Auditioning
I remember reading before about this problem but I can't find where I was reading about it. I just discovered I have this problem.

At random intervals there is a slight "pause" in audio when watching dvd movies. I am connected digitally using an Acoustic Research coax cable and through Component video.

If I rewind that section where a random "hiccup" occurs and play it over and over I won't be able to repeat the problem. But this has occured multiple times on different discs. Each time if I rewind its gone. And if I play the disc again it very likely won't happen again.

Any ideas?

Does this happen to anyone else?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I've never experienced this issue with my Yammy HTR-5760.

Which DVD player are you using?

howardHSH

Auditioning
hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I think I read before it was specific to the 5790/1400 but I can't be sure.

I use a Toshiba SD-2200 DVD player. I've had this player for a long time but I've always used its analog output before with a Denon 1400. Now using the digital output I get this problem.

Btw in case those of you think its due to the DVD player switching layers on a Dual Layer disc, it isn't - that is a much more distinctive and unfailingly repeatable pause.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I went to ultimate electronics the other day to audition the yammaha 1400 with some klipsch rf-35's and I got a small hiccup in the depth charge scene of u-571. I just assumed it was a scratch on the disc or a flaw with the dvd player or set-up.

howardHSH

Auditioning
I don't think this problem occurs on all the 5790/1400 receivers. Maybe only on some? I don't think its a widespread problem or else we would have heard a lot more about it.

Just for those curious, the DVD's I am getting skipping on are either brand new or in near perfect condition (little to no scratches).

I'll try to audition more movies and see if I can see what the receiver's screen looks like when there's a hiccup.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Deja Vu all over again. I had this problem with an RXV-1400 combined with a Zenith DVB-318, and one of the dvds it happened with was indeed U-571. Got it to happen on the Balrog battle scene in LOTR-FOTR also as well as Das Boot superbit and a couple of others.

It was random, not a layer change and not scratches, a very brief hiccup, always in scenes involving a lot of surround activity at a high but not ear-splitting volume (-15db on the volume readout after auto calibration) and when the receiver was in one of the 7.1 surround modes (DD-EX, DTS-ES). It was never repeatable in that it never happened consistently at the same exact place in a movie, but certain segments of the movie were almost sure to provoke it.

It got to where if a scene started to get into some really heavy surround action I'd halfway expect a hiccup once things got a bit loud.

The same discs played on my Panasonic CP-72 did not produce the hiccups. It happened with both optical and coax digital cable from the Zenith, but never happenned with the Panny.

I returned the Yamaha just within the 30 day exchange period, not solely because of this admittedly very rare hiccup. I now have a Denon 2805, have played all the same discs with the Zenith and no hiccups.

I found a couple of posts over at AVS that may have some clue as to the source of the problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/print...postid=3998722

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/print...postid=4003265

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Just to mess it up a bit more... I have an RX-V1000 which ran perfectly when I had the Toshiba SD-2200. (How's that for coincidence.)

Anyway, after I dumped the 2200 I went though a couple of (non Toshiba) DVD players trying to find one which DIDN'T hiccup occasionally. Since the 2200 played flawlessly I had assumed the problem was with the newer players. I ended up just living with it.

In retrospect, I think it's just incompatibility issues. We are talking consumer electronics, after all. :)

Best of luck,
Martin.

howardHSH

Auditioning
Just some things that I noticed.

1) I was watching a DTS movie and reacted quick enough to glance down at the receiver's display during the hiccup. The DTS signal does appear to be lost momentarily during the hiccup.

2) The hiccup occurs on regulard DD and DTS movies

3) It doesn't appear to only occur in very "busy" audio scenes for me.

4) I am not sure if volume is related. I listen to relatively low volumes (I'm in an apartment) and I get the hiccups.

5) For me, I am using a 5.1 speaker setup.

I think Steve's links are very plausible reasons, but I wonder why my SD-2200 has this problem (using coax) when Martin's SD-2200 doesn't cause this problem.

I wish I could just return this and get the 2805, but here in Canada the 2805 is 20% more expensive than the RX-V1400/HTR-5790

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If the hiccup were the only factor involved I would probably have kept the RXV-1400. The main factor was my inability to get the hang of the user interface on the thing. Often I'd make the mistake of trying to change the surround format at the beginning of a movie, get lost, and end up spending the first 20 minutes of the film getting it to do what I wanted. I do read manuals, none of my vcrs ever flashed 12:00, and I installed and hooked up all my satellite gear and such myself but the Yamaha user interface, though it always eventually worked, was very frustrating. When I got the Zenith DVB-318 and also wanted to still use progressive from the Panny, along with the component output from my HD receiver I felt the need to get a receiver with 3 component inputs so had an excuse to swap out the Yamaha for the Denon. Price difference for me was only $100.

howardHSH

Auditioning
Steve,

Ironically I'm in the opposite camp. I've used a Denon 1400 for years and I loved it, but I find the Yamaha to have a much better balance of features/performance/price than the Denon 2805. I'm really not wanting to get rid of the 5790/1400 but the dropouts, however minor, are really distracting to me.

I'll try swapping DVD players and also maybe try swapping the receiver for another one if the store lets me.

A question about the 2805:

I notice that it looks to have 2 speaker diagrams on the front panel LED. Does this indicate the input signals as well as the currently active speakers? (the 5790/1400 only shows the input signals.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've always been a fan of Yamaha receivers and have had them in the past. It always got me p-o'd when someone would post an inquiry about the prospective purchase of a Yamaha and get replys saying "Yamahas are too bright, buy a Denon". A year ago if you'd asked me if I'd ever get a Denon I'd have given you a resounding "no".

I still think Yamaha is one of the best values around and whenever someone asks me for advice on buying a receiver the first name I mention is Yamaha.

To answer your question, on the 2805, the speaker icons on the left side of the display indicate the active incoming channels, the ones on the right indicate the active outgoing channels, making it easy to tell which speakers should be active which in turn makes it easy to tell if you've successfully chosen the output mode you wanted.

One thing about the display--you can't customize it to relable inputs. For example, with the Yamaha and the Pioneer I could connect one dvd player to the inputs labelled "dvd" and another to the ones labelled "DBS" and change the display so DVD read "DVD-1" and "DBS" read "DVD-2". With the Denon you can't do this.

My 2805 was $100 more than the RXV-1400 both purchased locally at Good Guys.

They're both very good receivers, the Denon has 3 component ins vs 2 for the Yammie, which allowed me to run both my dvd players and my HT receiver thru it. I found the Denon easier to use, it had the 3 component ins, and it doesn't hiccup in combination with the Zenith DVB-318 which I'm not about to give up.

Since my Yamaha didn't hiccup with a Panasonic player I think you have a very good chance of getting rid of the hiccups by changing dvd players, and if that's the case I'd definitely stick with the Yamaha. I've had 3 of them before and they are brick like as far as reliability.

As far as overall sound quality they are very close, but I'd have to say the Denon has a small advantage as far as dialogue intelligibility and detailed sounds.

With the Denon I don't need to turn on subtitles to understand Gollum nearly as much as I did with the Yamaha.
In the openning Shire scene in FOTR, you hear birds chirping in the surrounds on both, but with the Denon I feel like if I were an expert on birds I could tell you what species of bird they are.

Just as the Yamaha is available as the RXV-1400 or HTR-5790, the Denon can be had as the AVR-2805 or AVR-985, with the 985 often available for a hundred or two less, so if swapping players doesn't get rid of your hiccups you can probably get the 985 Denon for the same if not less than the 5790/RXV-1400.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I might have a hiccup situation with my combo HTR-5740(RX-V450) and a Onkyo DVD player....I say "I might" becuase I'm not sure if it was the layer change. I was watching Star Wars (ESB) and it happened at about 58 minutes into the movie.....But since there's been several threads with certain combinations of player receivers, then the possibilties are greater.....I'm really enjoying my 3 day old receiver, it's a keeper.

Edit: After reading the STAR WARS thread in the Software area, I realize it was the layer change.

Don Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I am seriously thinking of buying the HTR-5790 in the near future, but this thread has me a little nervous now. My dvd player is a Panasonic DVDF85. Does anyone still recommend this receiver to me. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks