Yamaha 5740 Vs 5760?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RaviK, May 19, 2004.

1. RaviK

RaviK Agent

I'm torn between choosing a HTR-5740 and HTR-5760. [​IMG] There is a price difference of $150 - $200 between them. But is that money worth it? I know once is 6.1 and the other one is 7.1 and I guess 6.1 is sufficient for me. Apart from YPAO and the 4lbs difference in weight, is there a pressing reason why I should for a 5760?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I believe the 5760 has pre-outs to add an external amp. If this doesn't concern you then get the 5740....

3. JasonBrandon

JasonBrandon Agent

I would pay the difference just for the pre-outs. This will provide you with much cheaper upgrade options in the future. I made the mistake of purchasing a receiver without preouts last time and now that I have upgraded my speakers, I have to upgrade my receiver as well as purchase an additional amplifier. I little extra money in the beginning will save you a lot more down the road.

4. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

$366.00 delivered sounds like you should go
    for the 5760!! [​IMG]

5. RaviK

RaviK Agent

Cam, can you tell me where?

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Etailelectronics.com is the place.

Personally, I'd pick the 5760 over the 5740 because:

- 5760 has a better power supply
    - 5760 has YPAO to setup sound levels and check speaker phase.
    - 5760 has better heatsinks (cut aluminum vs. stamped metal in the 5740)

That's about all the additional benefits that I can think of off the top of my head. I'd only pick the 5740 for a small bedroom system. However, with the 5760 at such a good price, why even consider the 5740?

7. Doug_S

Doug_S Auditioning

RaviK-
    You might check your local BestBuy. Mine will match prices off the internet as long as it's an authorized dealer. Found a Yami 5790 for $540. Got the sales manager to match the price + we negotiated on what shipping cost might have been. Total price was $585 - $215 off their list price and I probably could have saved a bit more if I wasn't in a hurry.

The online deals are fantastic but I personally like knowing I can take it back if there's a problem and not have to worry about shipping/re-stocking fees/return hassles.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS - I agree with the others - get the 5760.

8. Earl

Earl Auditioning

Doug_S...

Care to share what on-line retailer that was? EtailElectronics never seems to actually have the 5790s in stock! (Not to mention the price went up from $540 to $570 somtime over the last few weeks...)

9. Cam McFarland

Ravik,

Actually it was here

10. Wayne Ernst

Actually, H&R Deals wants $615 for the 5790. However, I did use them to purchase my 5760 and they were great to work with. Order and delivery didn't have any issues at all. If you go through H&R, ask for "Jim" and tell them Wayne said you want a good bargain. [​IMG]

11. Cam McFarland

Wayne,

Not exactly sure whom you were replying to, but HANDRDEALS
    shows the 5760 for $366.00 delivered, which is the model I was talking about, as well as Ravik.

- Cam

12. Wayne Ernst

Cam,

I was replying to Earl - I quoted his response in my reply. He's looking at the HTR-5790.

13. Doug_S

Doug_S Auditioning

RaviK-
    I printed out the info when I bought the receiver and promptly lost it afterwards. I beleive it was something like "Cameras and Electronics.com" or something along those lines. Sorry I can't be more help, but I do remember finding the site using Google.

All I needed to prove they were an authorized dealer was that they mentioned the manufacturer's warranty under the specs on the receiver.

Good luck!

14. RaviK

RaviK Agent

Thanks everyone!
    Doug,
    That was an awesome piece of information that you've given about BestBuy. I too prefer a local vendor is the difference is not a lot. I think I can use Cam's H&R link as a proof to show the BestBuy people. Honestly, I've been drooling over the 5760 [​IMG], it is just that I was unable to justify to myself spending $500 on a receiver at this point - I originally started off with a budget of $1000 for the entire HT system, but looks like just the speaker package alone would be going north of $1000 [​IMG]

15. Earl

Earl Auditioning

Looks like CamerasandElectronics.com has the 5760 for $332 in stock... weird part is when you click on the specs tab, it lists the specs for the 5790!

Starting to lean towards the 5760 now away from the 5790... I'd save about $300 and could put that towards the SW budget!

Thanks for the info all!

16. Cory O

Cory O Auditioning

I've heard that you want to order from an authorized dealer due to the manufacters warrenty. The price on the 5760's is great especially compared to the $499 price at best buy. I heard that JR.com is authorized and they have this receiver for $399.00 with free shipping. Any cheaper authorized Yamaha dealers out there to choose from?

17. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

The 5740 does NOT have S-video switching, while the 5750 and above does.

Do the 5760, it is an awesome receiver!