What's new

Yamaha 5560- on screen display? and do I want it? (1 Viewer)

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Been reading the forum for weeks trying to decide on a $400 range receiver. also have listened as well.

first I thought I was set on the Onkyo SR600, but the power and clipping stories turned me off. I know not everyone experiences the clipping, but I've had it on an older receiver and it's not something I enjoy. the pioneer 811 seems good, but the high THD and the hissing comments turned me off.

so I'm thinking of the Yamaha 5560 as friends who've owned Yamaha have liked them. my question (and feel free to toss out other recomendations) is, does it have on screen display (as the Onkyo does)? And is this even something I want? Seems like it would be helpful for calibration, but perhaps it's not particularly important. Crutchfield's site says it does not have it, Best Buy's says it does. I think I'd trust Crutchfield...

Thanks.

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
It doesnt have OSD, and for the hiss problem go check yourself then you will exactly know how much it is.

The RXV730 (@ $579 retail) has on-screen (the first rcvr in theri line-up with it) and a nicer, lcd remote,etc.....If you are not familiar with Yamaha's set-up menus (in fact ,even if you are) you will GREATLY appreciate the onscreen menus (also the parameter flexibility they provide)......By the way , in this case, there is no "htr" (bb) equivalent!!!!!!!!!!

Norman L

Second Unit
Lou,

I am just being honest, I have no problem with Yamaha but the 5560 is rated at 27w with 6 channels going. Onkyo 600 is 34w with 5 channels.
If you have time wait for the Denon 1803 MSRP $499. It will have the features of the 2802 for less money.

If you have the Gold or Platinum Amex card you can buy the Denon 2802 at an authorized dealer and Amex will price match with an Internet dealer that sell it for $528. Amex will send you a check for the difference.

The 811 is rated very good for wattage. I am on a 30 trial for my bedroom, hiss is only below -22 on the volume control and I never go below -30 to -35.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks