Yamaha 5550 or Panasonic SA-HE200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David*Ryu, Dec 13, 2002.

1. David*Ryu

David*Ryu Auditioning

I am looking for a receiver under $400, and have seen these two for around this price.
    Yamaha 5550 or Panasonic SA-HE200
    Which would you recommend?
    Also, which would be a better match for these Jamo Apollo 3 or Energy Take 5, or something else?

Thank you for any information.

2. KarlV

KarlV Extra

I can't comment on the Yamaha, but as the owner of the Panasonic I will give you my opinion. I think the Panasonic is a very good bang for your buck kind of receiver. It has plenty of power (the HE100 tested very well), high bandwidth component switching, Prologic 2, Dolby EX, DTS ES, decent binding posts, and plenty of inputs. I am very happy with the performance of the receiver. The negatives are the lack of pre-outs, no on screen display(this is a positive to some people), it does run rather warm, and one negative I can't understand is the name. Why is it that Panasonic can make a DVD player that many people consider one of the best for the money (RP91&RP82) yet don't beleive that Panasonic can make a good Receiver?

Good luck on your decision, take everyone's comments with grain of salt, evaluate the receivers yourself and choose what you like. After all you have to live with it, we don't.

3. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

another vote for the panasonic..but I am biased I own one...IMHO you cant beat its price/performance ratio...

4. Ryan DC

Ryan DC Agent

David*Ryu, I was about to get this receiver until I read posts at www.avsforum.com that using 2 rear back surrounds as opposed to just 1 is better. It was said that the sounds from the 1 rear speaker can sound like it is coming from the front instead of the rear. Also there was a debate I brought up on wether this receiver can decode DTS-ES Discrete. Just do A search using my name and it should come up. Otherwise it is a good choice!

5. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I just got my SA-HE200 receiver last week. The sound this receiver puts out is really good. Much stronger then most other AV receivers. Especially in its price range. Bang for the buck I would rate it very high.

I do have some minor or major issues with it depending on your personal taste. Setting it up for the first time is a real chore. Once you learn it is easy but the first time can cause some frustration. An on screen menu system would be a big plus. Why it does not have one I am not entirely sure. My $130 Sherwood had an on screen display why can't my $400 Panasonic have it?

This receiver is loaded with just about every DSP mode you can think of or need. It does Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES discrete and matrix. It also has 3 adjustable Dolby Pro Logic II modes movie, music and panorama.

My only real major pickle with this receiver and it might be returned because of it is the lack plain old school Dolby Pro Logic. For most people this is a non issue because Dolby Pro Logic II is superior. This however is subject to debate and most makers provide the ability to use both. I thought about sending an e-mail to Panasonic customer service asking why this was left off and see what they say.

Other then being a little over automated (ability to override basic functions) thats about it.

If you can care less about the lack of Dolby Pro Logic and on screen menu system then go for it. It sounds great and is solidly built.

Chris

6. David*Ryu

David*Ryu Auditioning

Thanks for all the feedback. It looks like the HE200 is well liked here. I think I will go with it. Any comments on speaker selection, or should I ask that elsewhere?

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

With somewhat forward speakers like the Energys I would suggest going with a warmer sounding amp like the HK 320 or the Marantz (even an earlier model for less than $400) or the Denon 1802. While the Yamaha and the Panasonic might be excellent receivers in their own right you will have better long term satisfaction going with one of the other brands I mentioned.

Best of luck.

8. David*Ryu

David*Ryu Auditioning

Sorry, by elsewhere I mean the speaker forum

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

And what makes Yogi think that one would have better long term satisfaction by going with an H/K or Marantz as opposed to the for mentioned.

Build quailty, speaker selection/receiver mix, features, price, or just favortizium.

Only from a speaker receiver mix could I quatifiy that comment.
    If thats what you were illuding to, than I might agree, anything else and I don't....
    We all do not like the same thing!

A feature you want may not be important to someone else. A forwarding sounding set-up may be what one likes, or maybe just the oppsite. Reading about user comments/stories is smart, but opinions are like a**holes everybodys got one. Nothing ment by that......!

Take what you hear about a componet and (store it in your memorie bank), when it's time to decied on what ever it is, the Buyer/User/Owner needs to (make their own decision) don't be swayed by peoples opinions, be it on anything. Take from your people opinions memorie bank and mix that with what you need and make an informened (what I like and want decision)...

Regards
    Geoff

10. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha 5550,but I really love Yamaha.
    [​IMG]

11. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Long term satisfaction = More speakers you can mate with + Less listener fatigue. In general I have found that the receivers I have mentioned mate well with a wide variety of speakers all the way from Vienna (warm) to Klipsch (bright). While Yamaha, Panasonic, Technics, Onkyo mate well with speakers that are warmer in tonal quality. They dont (atleast to my ears) mate well with Klipsch or other bright speakers and very soon lead to listener fatigue. Also myself and most others I know enjoy warm to neutral sound and can listen to it longer than bright or forward sound. Forward sound appeals most in the beginning where most people mistake it for detail but soon get fatigued listening to it. While warmer more laid back sound might sound dull (compared to bright sound) at start but will give you more long term satisfaction, IMHO. So when I say that Marantz, HK or Denon will yield more long term satisfaction, all I mean is you will have more choices in speaker selection in the upgrade path and will be able to listen to it longer in your system then the other types.

Of course listening preference is subjective and varies from person to person like any other subjective thing. So I must apologize for not adding 'IMHO' in my last post.

MHO.