What's new

Yamaha 5490 or Outlaw 1050? (1 Viewer)

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
I have an option of purchasing a Yamaha 5490 for $499 through my work and also was eyeing the Outlaw 1050. Which one do you guys recommend? They both look good to me, but the Yamaha has more features and DP-II and is regularly $899. However, I've read a lot of good things about the Outlaw and read that it would be the best receiver undero $1000. Please help!

Dan

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Of all those extra features on the Yamaha, how many will you actually use? Does it include preouts for all channels and an adjustable crossover? How important are those features to you? Regardless I seriously doubt you could go wrong with either choice.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Daniel,

It all depends on your listening needs and your ability or need to upgrade in the future. I recently bought the HTR 5490. I love DPL II. It really takes stereo music, analog TV and Dolby Pro Logic to new levels. It sounds pretty close to 5.1. I don't need all 44 DSP modes but I use the DPL II - 6 channel stereo setting for music, "Sports" setting for my NFL Sunday Ticket and NCAA Basketball viewing and I use DPL II - "movie" for all other non 5.1 sources (DirecTV, analog OTA). For 5.1 sources I use the digital passthrough. I can't wait to use the 6 channel inputs for my DVD-A player when I get it for Christmas! I understood that the "upgradability" is limited because of the lack of pre-outs, but with the amount of $$ I dropped on HT this year, I won't be upgrading for some time!!! I really enjoy the warm sound of the 5490 and at $499 it's a steal. Just my $.02

In either case I'm sure you will enjoy!

Ralph

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
Cool. Thanks for the input guys. I might be able to pickup the 5490 if my manager is up to it. Anyhow, I do like what you're saying about DPL-II and how it sounds more like 5.1! That's pretty neat, yet, I would like to hear more suggestions from others before I put down my final decision. Thanks in advance!

Dan

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel,

I'm from San Diego also. Where do you work. It's funny that you mention this. I am considering the 5490. Can you get back to me via email? Both should be a good choice, for home theater the 5490 should have the features to suit you the most. The 1050 is a great value with excellent performance. Let me know.

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
Well Charles, I can't seem to locate your email address. I went to look at your profile and it doesn't show. Anyhow, would the Yamaha's 2 channel music be as good as the Outlaw's? I know the 5490 does 6 channel stereo, does the Outlaw have anything like that? Thanks guys!

Dan

Ashok

Agent
The Yamaha also has the advantage of component video switching. If you are able to use it, that's a definite bonus.

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
OK! I just got my Yamaha 5490 and I don't see a stinkin Coax for the DVD player! What's up with that?!? Am I stuck on using COAX?!? Does anyone have a workaround besides me having to use Optical?

Dan

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Hi there. I too am considering the Outlaw 1050, the Yamaha 5490 and the Denon 2802. I was leaning toward the Denin, but I found the 5490 online for $540. The 5490 is really the sweet spot for the Yamaha line. Be aware that it is exactly the same receiver as the RX-V1200 except the faceplate is a little different. The RX and HRT lines are marketed to different channels. The 5490 is the "top" of their budget consumer line, and the v1200 is the middle of their prestigious line. But they are identical, and the v1200 costs about $100 more MSRP and street. Another bit of interesting trivia - the rx-v1200 is extremely similar to the rx-v2200, identical spec for spec, except the 2200 is 100wx6 instead of 80wx6. They are even the same weight. The 2200 retails at $1200 and streets at $850.
The 5490 is jammed with features for a receiver anywhere near $500. At $540, it is a bargain except no warranty for unauthorized dealers. :frowning: At $499, grab it.

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
Heh went in to buy it and employee price was $535!! So I talked with my manager and he gave it to me for $499. And I also got a 4 year warranty for 5 bucks which is normally 40. Walked out the door paying 540. I'm happy it with, it sounds really nice. Now I just need to get two more SuperOne's to complete it. Hopefully the middle of next month! Thanks for all the responses!

Dan

Barry_R

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel, I just got my 5490 last week and so far I love it. It does everything I would want or are likely to need. I was able to work out a deal at a local authorized retailer for $719, which I thought was STEAL. (MSRP is $849). If you got one for $500 you got a huge bargain. Take it and run.

HINT: Try out the Mono Movie setting with an older movie or DVD. I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" the other night. If I closed my eyes it sounded exactly like our old local theater, with the echoes and everything. Even my wife was amazed at how realistic it sounded.

Enjoy it. Barry.

Users who are viewing this thread