1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha 5490, Onkyo 696, Denon 2802 Which One ????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottJH, Dec 11, 2001.

1. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I am looking to upgrade my receiver. Right now I have a Sony STR-DE945 and it's time for it to go. I am looking at these models Yamaha 5490, Onkyo 696, Denon 2802. Also I keep seeing some great comments about the Kenwood 509 on this forum. Was looking for some feedback on each model(good points/bad points) and which you would pick.

Thanks,

Scott

2. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I also wanted to add that my listening will be mainly HT.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Hi Scott,
    Recently, I purchased a new receiver and the ones I most considered were the Onkyo 696, Onkyo 797, Denon 2802, Denon 3802, and the Outlaw. Because I still play LP's, I, unfortunately, had to eliminate the Outlaw. The remaining 4 receivers all seemed great, but I choose the Onkyo 696 over the others because of price, the fact that it was only going into my bedroom where I use only 5 speakers + sub, and my previous experience with Onkyo receivers. The Denon 2802 is of high build quality and sound, but I was worried about its ergonomics and preferred the Onkyo 696 remote. So far, I'm loving the Onkyo to death. Dolby Prologic 2 is great and, for me, it has been easy to set up and operate. I guess you'll have to listen to all three and decide which features/charactistics are the most important to you.

4. DaveThomas

DaveThomas Extra

I have a Yamaha htr-5280 and have been very happy with it. Some things I like about the Yamaha (The HTR-5490 should have these same advantages plus DPL2 and a rear center surround amp):

* subwoofer test tone is variable from 35Hz to 200+ (in 1/3 octave steps I think). this makes it really easy to set up or check blending of low freqs.

* you can assign digital inputs to sources

* setup menu is simple to use from the receiver's display, so you don't need the OSD to get anything done.

* the sound - the newer Yamahas are not 'bright' sounding like older models. Bass is tight and overall the sound seems very neutral. I've had some old Boston bookshelves, some Def Tech BP8's and currently some CSW Newton M80 hooked up to it. The Bostons and Newtons sound the best for music and HT. The DefTechs are wonderful for movies but have a slight depression somewhere in the midrange that I didn't like for music.

Bad points on the Yamaha:

* remote takes a while to get used to. But it runs everything in my setup just fine, and learned the codes it didn't already know.

* Each DSP mode is adjustable, so to change surround or center delay times, you have to do it for each mode. The Denon asks you the distance to each speaker and sets that for you once for all modes.

When I was choosing a receiver, it came down to Denon and Yamaha. I couldn't really make a clear choice on sound quality alone, so price and features finally decided it. My Dad has a Denon with some Paradigm mini monitors and it certainly sounds as good as my setup. I think either of them are going to sound better to you than the Sony you currently have.

5. Barry_R

Barry_R Stunt Coordinator

Scott, I recently made the exact same choice. I looked at those three models and researched everything I could find (I didn't look at the Kenwood). I compared price, features, quality, reliability, etc. I even downloaded the manuals for each one and read through them so I could evaluate them on ease of use, remotes, features, specs, etc. All of them are very good, and some have a slight edge in certain areas over others. In the end, I went with the Yamaha HTR-5490. For the price range, it had the best set of features that I wanted, the best reviews, and after looking at each of them over and over, I kept coming back to the 5490. On top of that, I ended up getting great deal on one locally.

Now I can't wait until next week get's here so I can open it. Barry.

6. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Just my $.02, if you are possibly thinking of upgrading in the future, the Yamaha 5490 does NOT have pre-outs, both the Denon and Onkyo do. The Denon has pre-outs for 7.1 surround, something you might want to take into consideration for the future.

7. Barry_R

Kyle, That is true, the 5490 does not have pre-outs. I believe that the Yamaha RXV-1200 does have pre-outs, however. This unit is otherwise identical to the 5490 and sells for approx. the same price. For me, the pre-outs were optional. And I got a deal on the 5490 that I couldn't turn down. Again, I don't think that you could go wrong with any of them.

Barry.

8. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

My 696 has been awesome! I highly recommend it for quality and user friendliness.

Matt

9. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I too am loking at these receivers, any word on pricing of the denon 2802(from 538-799 depending on ionternet vs dealer). The internet is very tempting

10. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

i too am looking at the Denon 2802, but the local dealer pricing is $750. of course, even through an authorized online vendor, extra shipping has to occur, and online vendors don't tend to stick around as long as brick+mortar dealers. what do you all think? is the 2802 worth $750?

thanks

11. DanielKim

DanielKim Stunt Coordinator

Picked up the Yamaha 5490 for $499 with a 3 year warranty. So far so good, but I do wish it had pre-outs. It's an excellent unit, but for the price I paid, it's an awesome unit.

Dan

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I never underestimate the power of having a good remote... having said that, i bought an Integra 6.2 (Onkyo696) for my bedroom. Their all decent receivers.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've got the 696, so here on comments based on my own particular uses. Other receivers may do all of this; I'm not suggesting these are unique to the 696.

- Fairly simple setup menus on receiver, and nice On-Screen Display (OSD) output to TV/monitor

- "Intellivolume": I set the turn-on volume, so it's always low when the receiver is turned on.

- Logarithmic volume control: Much better control over low volumes (~25% of power ouput takes up ~50% of volume knob range)

- Clean, simple design. Back panel layout is good. Binding posts for all speakers. 2 coax, 2 TOSLink digital inputs.

- DPLII

- Decent instruction manual

- Good remote (though I don't use it; I've got a Radio Shack univesal)

- Plugging in headphones automatically mutes speakers

- Matrix Display, easy to read

- Plenty of power for my uses

- relative volume adjustment (+/- 12dB) for all inputs. Use it to get all sources to play about the same loudness for a given volume setting.

Dislikes:

- Getting the OSD to work caused me some grief. It's not hard, but it baffled me at first.

- DVD and Video1 share an audio channel. That is, if the DVD player is on and has a disc, the Onkyo detects that signal and plays it, rather than Video1. Even if Video1 is selected. This is not a big deal, but it bugs me once in a while

- No front panel inputs

- Display dimmer only lowers display; won't turn it off

I got a good price on it; otherwise I would have gone with the 595.

14. Jim Berghofer

Considering these three receivers also. I’m leaning towards the Yamaha 5490.
    My speakers are Polk 800i, 400i, and rt35’s. 70% use will be for HT (5.1) and the other 30% divided equally amongst CD, radio and cable TV. The real dilemma is if I should buy from an online e-tailer and save $300 with no manufacturer warranty. Scott BB in Westland Michigan wants $899 for the 5490 and etronics.com is asking for 584.99 + shipping (no mw).
    [​IMG]

15. Barry_R

Jim, Here's one thing to try. Take the print outs from all of the on-line prices you have and go see the department manager at Best Buy. Tell them you'd like to buy it there, but the price has to be a little more competitive. Don't waste their time with other things. Show them you mean business, that you know everything about this unit and you're ready to buy one. Some of them don't know that many of these on-line prices are from non-authorized dealers. They're policy says they won't price match off the internet, but if they're interested in your business, they'll deal with you. Especially if you've bought other things there.

I decided to go with an authorized dealer and wanted to see how low BB would come. I expected them to drop about $100, they offered me a price nearly $200 less right off the bat. The manager knew that if he came in with the right price, he had a sale. Try it, if it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything.

Barry.

16. DanielC

DanielC Extra