Yamaha 3300 8 Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Paul His, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Paul His

Paul His Agent

I recently got the Yamaha 3300 receiver and am extremely happy with it. I certainly didn't buy it because of its 8 speaker output, but now that I have it, I'm curious ...

Have any of you 3300 owners hooked up the front effects speakers? (they'd be speakers # 7&8) Is there a real audible difference that should make me run out and buy another couple of speakers?

Paul H

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I have an older Yamaha unit that has the front effects speakers, and they do indeed make a difference for certain DSP effects settings, especially the music modes. Naturally, if you don’t use any DSP settings, there’s no reason to get the extra speakers.

You might consider getting some cheap speakers that you can return to see if you want to use the front effects at all, but I recommend that your permanent pair match your other speakers – or perhaps be a lower model of the same family of speakers. This will ensure that the effects speakers are a good blend with the others. Just like the center and rears speakers, you want the effects speakers to be a seamless blend with the rest of the mains.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I too have a 3300...I decided against the front effects mainly because my room is small but also because I dont want the extra clutter.

4. Jack N

Jack N Agent

I've become adicted to the 8 channel stereo mode. I added an old external amp to the presence channels and an old pair of 3-way studio monitor speakers. If you're into audio, this option can add some real kick for relatively little $.