Yamaha 2400 owners with DPL2x upgrade please read

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Thomas Monahan, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Thomas Monahan

Hi,

I recently sent my Yamaha RXV2400 Receiver to Yamaha for the DPL2x upgrade. When playing a Pro Logic DVD, I can select DPL2x and it works fine. However, I am unable to figure out how to use DPL2x Movie processing on top of 5.1 sources to add stereo rear center surrounds. Pressing the ex/es button on the remote cycles between Auto, ex/es, and off. Pressing the dolby/dts button only toggles between standard and dsp processing.

I spoke with a Yamaha tech about this and he said that DPL2x was only for 2 channel sources not 5.1. He swears up and down that he has never heard of DPL2x working with 5.1. He had a connected 1400 upgaded receiver in fron of him as we spoke on the phone

I have read about DPL2x on this forum and everything I have read confirms that 2x should work in conjunction with Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD movies.

So, is the Yamaha tech correct or am I correct?. I am concerned that there might be a problem with Yamaha's DPL2x upgrade.

If 2x can be used on 5.1 sources, have any fellow 2400 owners figured out how to use it?. If yes, how do you do it.

I would greatly aprecciate any input.

Thanks,
    Thomas

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

You are right. From Dolby's Consumer site:

Maybe there is an error in the upgrade or another way to access it. When I don't think I'm getting a satisfactory answer from a company's helpline, I call back and talk to someone else.

Good Luck,

DJ

3. John S

John S Producer

Interesting.. It seems a fair amount of the early implementations of DLP2x have left this 5.1 part out of the equation. They hooked it up in the flow chart the same way they had DPLII hooked up.

Your not the only one that their new DPLIIx is not available for 5.1 sources., seems like this may be very common.

4. Nathan-C

Nathan-C Extra

Hi Thomas,

Are you running 6.1 or 7.1? I have an RX v1400 with DPLIIx running a 6.1 setup and initially thought I had the same problem however, when I read the DPLIIx insert that came with the instruction manual more closely it states DPLIIx will only work for in "movie" mode for 5.1 sources if I have a 7.1 setup and selected that I have 2 rear surrounds in the speaker setup menu. So if you have a 6.1 setup and you play a 5.1 disc the decoder uses the dolby digital ex decoder to get you sound from the 6th speaker. I doubled checked this and I get sound from that back speaker when DPLIIx is enabled and I toggled the EX/ES mode. Check the insert and look at the very bottom in really small print for an explanation on this. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Contact me directly if you want.

Nathan

5. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

thomas,

of course dpl IIx will work for 5.1 sources as well as for 2.0 sources. it seems widely *known* that dpl IIx is only good for two channel sources, espacially in the rows of manufacturers. assuming the set up was made properly, dolby pro logic IIx will work VERY good and effective on 5.1 sources. and i can tell you something: it comes damn close to that what logic7 does in the lexicon processors!!!

well, i recently build up a home theater at the house of friends of mine with a rx-v1400. it is a 7.1 speaker set up.
    to activate the pro logic IIx mode, you have to enable ex/es first with the button down right. after that, you must use the right/left/up/down arrow keys around the enter button.
    it's a bit tricky so you might have to try a few times. can also helpful to do this setting when the source is still not running yet (just stop your dvd player and make sure you activate dpl IIx movie first, then start running the disc)

it's also possible that your receiver is set on dolby pro logic II (without x) by default. in that case dpl IIx cannot be activated for 5.1 sources IMO. make sure you change this in the manual settings.

regards, holger

6. Thomas Monahan

Nathan,

You have solved my problem!

I had it set for 6 instead of 7 speakers and I now can select 2x movie for use with 5.1 sources. Thank you so much for the help. You really made my night. Unfortunately, the speakers I use for all channels are only sold in pairs so I will end up paying for 1 speaker I can't use.[​IMG]

The one thing I wish I could do is use THX re-eq to tame bright soundtracks when using 2x Movie. I pressed the THX button on the remote while in DD5.1 DPL2x mode but this shut off the sound from the rear center channel. When I did this the 2400's front pannel display said DPL2x Movie:EX.
    Any idea what that means?. I was playing a DD 5.1 movie that is not ex or es encoded.

I have come across another problem with my unit. I tried to shut the receiver off but it or any of it's functions wouldn't respond so I had to unplug it. When I plugged it back in it came and all seemed to be OK. Now, for some strange reason, it plays back 2.0 sources in DPL2 with no x. When you turn the function knob it cycles like normal but when it gets to what was DPL2x it now says DPL2 and there is no sound coming from rear center. As I continue to rotate the knob I get DPL2x music and DPL2x game just like before. Do you have any idea what has gone wrong?

Between this new problem, the techs incompetence, and Yamaha telling me there is no insert regarding DPL2x, I don't think I will ever buy a Yamaha component ever again.

Thanks again,
    Thomas

Everyone,

Thank's so much for the input. I greatly aprecciate you taking out the time to help me. Do any of you have any idea what is the cause of my new problem?.

Thomas

7. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

I have been holding off on sending mine it because of the pain in the butt factor.

Here is something I was wodering. When playing a 5.1 DVD I set the EX/ES to ON instead of AUTO and it creates the 6th channel for my 6.1 set-up. On most DVD is seems to work very well. So strickly for 5.1 DVD is the PLIIx really any better then just setting the EX/ES so ON?

I have so few Pro Logic DVD that it isn't worth getting the PLIIx just for them.

8. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

Thomas wrote: >>Now, for some strange reason, it plays back 2.0 sources in DPL2 with no x.>It seems a fair amount of the early implementations of DLP2x have left this 5.1 part out of the equation.

9. John S

John S Producer

"None have left it out, It is not an option"

Ok does DPL2x work on 5.1 sources or not?

If so, I have seen two receivers now that are either not very user freindly on it, or just will not let you select
    DPLIIx while on DD 5.1 sources.

From reading the obove posts, I actually think it was just tricky to get it to work really. Not being my equipment, I was to unfamilure to help much on it.

10. Thomas Monahan

Roger,

I tried the arrow keys and was able to select DPL2x. Thanks for the help!

Brent,

As Nathan stated earlier, you have to use 2 rear center speakers to even use DPL2x Movie.

I think the main advantage of 2x is that they would be stereo instead of mono forced EX.

Even if you only use one speaker in the back I think the upgrade is worth it for no other reason than re-sale value. A deciding factor for the upgrade may be whether or not you bought it from an authorized dealer. If you did, Yamaha will do it for free. If not, Yamaha will charge you $250 for the upgrade.

The day Yamaha received my 2400, they did the upgrade and had it shipped out UPS ground later that day. So it really isn't too big of a pain.

John S,

DPL2x does work on 5.1 sources as long as you use 2 rear centers. The Yamaha manual is very poor. If it wasn't for the kind members of this forum I would likely have taken my 2400 back and gone with some other brand.

Thomas

11. Phil

Phil Stunt Coordinator

Hi Everyone,

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2400. I was unaware of the DPLIIx upgrade issue. Are all of the 2400's out there in need of the upgrade or are the newer ones being shipped with the upgrade already done? If so, how can one tell if its a unit in need of an upgrade or not?

Also looking for feedback from 2400 owners. How about the YPAO feature? Does the 2400 come with all accessories required or do you need to buy anything?

Thanks,

Phil

12. Nathan-C

Nathan-C Extra

Phil,
    All of the latest 1400s and 2400s have been shipping with DPLIIx for the past month in a half. There are a couple of ways to check to see if a unit has it or not 1.) On the outside of the box, it has logos for all the sound modes, check the dolby logo. 2.) If not, then check the box to see if there is a sticker somewhere on the box that says DPLIIx upgrade. 3.) Look at the receiver itself and check the logo on the front, if no DPLIIx, check the serial number and if there is a small black sticker next to it than it has the upgrade. No stickers or newer labels than it doesn't have the upgrade. This info is direct from Yamaha. According to them they said that all authorized retailers were contacted back in Nov/dec to send back in all of the receivers to get upgraded before they sold. If you have purchased an older unit with out the upgrade from an authorized retailer you can send it to Yamaha with your receipt and they will upgrade it for you for free. Shipping to Yamaha is your only expense. If you buy the receiver from an unauthorized retailer Yamaha will still perform the upgrade however they will charge you $250.00. I hope this info helps and please let me know if you need anything else.

Nathan

13. Phil

Phil Stunt Coordinator

Nathan,

Thank you very much for your reply. I live in Toronto, Canada and spoke to Yamaha Canada today. As you stated above, 2400's were sold in the U.S. without DPL2x. I was told today by Yamaha Canada that they held off selling any 2400's without the DPL2x upgrade. This explains why I was a little confused about this upgrade issue.

I hope to pick up my 2400 this weekend and put it through its paces. Is there any signal loss using the component up convert? I mean no receiver is truly transparent and I am curious on your thoughts.

As a note the rep. (David Susilo) at Yamaha was very helpful and very knowledgeable and was the same one quoted on another HTF RX V2400 thread.

Phil

14. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Hi folks,

I purchased a RX-V2400 this past weekend and just caught this thread on DPLIIx. My receiver was upgraded, since its a Canadian model, and there's a sticker on the front panel indicating the upgrade was performed.

I had no idea DPLIIx could be used with 5.1 sources, and frankly I didn't read the DPLIIx insert included in my box. I was under the impression that DPLIIx was only intended for 2-channel sources. I only have a 6.1 speaker set up, and I've set my receiver to "6 speakers". 2 questions:
    1) Does this mean that I can't enable DPLIIx for 5.1 sources?
    2) With a 6.1 speaker setup, is there any advantage to using DPLIIx over the EX/ES modes?

15. John S

John S Producer

Interesting about the 6.1 and not being able to use it.

I didn't know this, and suggested for people to run the 6.1 instead of the 7.1, in other words they don't have enough speakers to do it.

Of course, I have to play with it some more though, for more thorough analysis, not being my stuff, makes it harder to figure it all out.

16. Nathan-C

Nathan-C Extra

Hi MuneebM,

Read my earlier posts on this. You can use DPL IIx with 5.1 sources to get 6.1 sound. I have a 6.1 system. Its mentioned in the DPL IIx insert in small print at the very bottom on each page. You just have to ensure that in the speaker set up menu you have selected that you only have 1 rear surround and when selecting the option when in DPL IIx you select ex/es. I know the latter sounds strange but it works and works great. I tested it with Pearl Harbour using DTS 5.1 and ran it through DPL IIx and it was freakin awesome. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Nathan

17. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

So, I enable DPLIIx and then press the EX/ES button and I'll get 6.1 out of a 5.1 source that will sound better than the regular EX/ES? I'll experiment tonight, but I'm curious as to why it would sound better.

18. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I tried enabling the DPLIIx decoder last night with a DTS ES source (Gladiator) and discovered that I could only enable DPLIIx Music mode! In the DPLIIx insert that was included with my receiver it says this is because I only have a 6.1 set up and if the surround back speakers are set to SMLx1 or LRGx1 only DPLIIx Music can be enabled with multichannel sources. In my opinion, this sucks! Had I known better about DPLIIx before, I would've tried harder to get a pair of surround back speakers rather than a single speaker. I don't understand why it would allow me to enable DPLIIx Movie with 2-channel sources but not with multichannel!

Should I set my surround back to SMLx2 even though I only have one speaker? Logic tells me I would be missing out on the surround right channel audio if I enable DPLIIx Movie mode, unless the Yammie will still mix the signal into the single speaker.

19. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

>>I don't understand why it would allow me to enable DPLIIx Movie with 2-channel sources but not with multichannel!