Yamaha 2300 out and no comments?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Burgoyne, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I know it's only been out a week or so, but surely someone must have something to say. Hasn't anyone brought one home or played with one in a store? Bass management? DVD-A/SACD quality? Video performance? Chroma bug?

Come on...all of these 0% offers from credit card companies are burning a hole in my pocket!

2. Ben Hanrahan

Ben Hanrahan Stunt Coordinator

We know it won't have the chroma bug.

We also know that it will have basically the same video section as the RP-82 and most likely an equivalent audio section(burr-brown dacs) as the Denon 1600. With the addition of bass management, this could be THE player to have! I also like the fact that Yamaha takes build quality seriously, unlike Panasonic. Granted, the RP-82 is the best bargain player, I question the build quality and how it transfers into performance in other areas (like audio). From what I've read Yamaha also uses a much better power supply, which transfers into better performance all around. Now...if it's using a better dd/dts decoder than the rp-82, I just may have to get one!!

3. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Stunt Coordinator

We're too busy breaking it in and evaluating (and enjoying) it before any premature postings...[​IMG]

4. Brian Burgoyne

Daniel! Are you holding out on us? Hurry up! You should have "lots" of spare time before xmas...[​IMG]

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, you may just have to be the guinea pig and give us a review. [​IMG]
    I would be curious to hear how the Onkyo, Integra, and Yamaha universal players handle SACD relative to the Sony DVP-NS999ES and DVD-Audio relative to the Denon DVD-3800, and then CD relative to both. Perhaps I will have to be the guinea pig for that. [​IMG]

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Brian, there has been some discussion here . Basically it does look bass management is there, its fairly basic with a fixed crossover but its still better than nothing. There appears to be no chroma bug. Overall it looks to be a real good player. I hope to get my hands on one in the next few weeks if my dealer can get hold of it.

7. Matthew Woodley

I received a surprise phone call from my dealer yesterday morning indicating that two DVD-S2300's came in. I went down after work and picked-up the player. I really haven't had much time to play with it yet. I barely had time to install the player in my system.

Oh well the weekend will be here soon!

Matthew

P.S. This thing is built like a tank!!

8. Brian Burgoyne

Ok Matthew, it's all on your shoulders now.[​IMG]
    Let's hope you have nothing to do this weekend but play with the 2300!

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

BTW, the Yamaha is based on the Pioneer 47a/ai. It was posted somewhere else that it *does* have the chroma bug (due to the MPEG 2 decoder chip it has). But. Someone else posted that with the Faroudja video processing it has, that it will be less apparent. For what it's worth.

I don't know if anyone has researched the innerds of the new Onkyo/Integra player to that extent however.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

11. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

aparently it uses DVDi Faroudja chip (for the North American version), so for sure there will be no Chroma Bug.

The innards, seems to look like an RP-82 with some modifications.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

It's not the faroudja chip that has anything to do with the chroma bug. Faroudja processing can *minimize* it, but the bug itself is in the MPEG 2 decoder.

If you go to the Secrets link, the Yamaha and Panasonic players all have MEI MPEG 2 decoders, Pioneers have Mitsubishi or Fujitsu.

13. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

does it have a flicker bug like what I have heard about the yamaha c920? Or can anyone confirm this rumor about the c920? Thanks!

14. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Does the Yamaha have the 4:3 playback in 16x9 mode (which the Onkyo does)?