What's new

Yamaha 2300 DVD Universal player (1 Viewer)

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have one of these and do you like it?

I am in the market to get a good quality universal DVD player and am also considering the Denon 2900, and perhaps the Pioneer Elite product.

My dealor also said she is getting a great deal on the Yamaha Flagship DVD player. The number is something like the z1 or something. My cost would be $500 on that but it does not offer SACD.

What is everyones opinion on this. Thanks in advance for your input.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I have an S2300, and personally I love it, the Bass management is decent, but right now without an ICBM thats all you will get is decent.

The video quality is superb, I really cant say enough good things about this player. the only downside ive found is the hard on off switch, no remote power off.

From what I have heard the Denon is just as good if not better, the Pioneers have been noted to lack somewhat in the video department. personally id take the cheaper of the yamaha or Denon.

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John.

I too am under the impression that the Denon 2900 was slightly better. I think I would spend bout $100 more on the Denon.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FTR, I have neither of these players, but have been considering them both.

There is a S&V review of the 2300 accessible from the Yamaha site.

FWIW, the 2900 scored higher in the Secrets test, but the one area where the 2900 fell down was with the CUE and 3:2 Alt Flag material, such as Monsters. I don't think there is a way around that, in that the 2900 does not give you a way to manually enable the 3:2 pull down.

However, the Yamaha was said to have poor DVD-A and DD noise figures. S&V said that they could be audible.

My quest for the holy grail continues (a player that does everything right AND is less than $1,000).

BGL

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

I actually read that review (I subscribe to that and several others) and while it was good, it did not seem "glowing". They actually said it was on "par" with most players at that price point.

For $1,000 I want the best I can get as I will not upgrade for a while after that....Too many other components to upgrade:D

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

FWIW, I am one of those unwashed heathens that owns a Pioneer 45A and LIKES IT!

I know how it ranked in Secrets (DFL), but on my display with good software, it can throw up a really beautiful picture.

With this player, I have only seen the CUE when I connected it to an older Sony 32" interlaced display. Using it in progressive, via components connected to my Pioneer 533 WS display, I have yet to actually see the dreaded CUE (and believe me, I have been trying and getting some good coaching from one of the authors of the Secrets site).

As for audio, it sounds fabulous with ALL formats (although I have gone to an ICBM for BM duties). Hi-Rez MC has been a revelation.

The only reason I am looking at the Yammy and the Denon are because I am hell bent to see what it is I may be missing video-wise (I suspect the answer will be not as much as some would have me think).

I even considered the 1600, since it aced the Secrets test, but I am very much in favor of the concept of a universal player.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks