Yamaha 2200 vs. Denon 3802 for B&W 600's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BryanEB, Feb 8, 2002.

1. BryanEB

BryanEB Agent

Thanks to the Extended Service Plan from Good Guys, I am now able to replace a faulty Yamaha RX-V2095 with either a Yamaha 2200 or Denon 3802.

I currently have the 2200 at home, but I wanted to get some opinions on using either of these receivers with B&W 602's/601's/CC-6 and MK MX-125MKII sub.

The one thing that somewhat bothers me about the Yamaha is that some dialog sounds almost too clear - especially noticeable on S sounds. It's hard for me to tell though if it's just the material, but it seems to be somewhat consistent, especially on DirecTV.

Any opinions appreciated,

Bryan

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I would go with the Denon.

3. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

I replied to you earlier I believe. I think the Denon will do a better job of masking poorly recorded source material, but the Yamaha will do a better job of ultimately reproducing well produced material in a more life-like and natural manner. FWIW my 2200 stretches the "S" along as often as my old flagship H/K receiver from '96, especially on certain DirecTv sources (by far the worst offender in my setup).

Go listen to Robbie Robertson's CD (the one where he's backed up on some songs by both U2 and BoDeans).

If you hear your "s" annoyance, either those speakers and the yammie are an imperfect match, or something is amiss in signal presentation (connections, room anomaly,...).

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If that Yamaha sounds anything like the 595 model I used to have with my B&w 600-series (rather s2-series) then I can't believe it would be a good match.
    Mine sounded hard and far too bright with the B&W's.
    Unfortunately I don't know how the Denon will sound but I have to believe it can be no worse at least. [​IMG]
    Can't you try something like a Harman Kardon setup or maybe even NAD? Oh, looks like you only have those two choices.
    Personally I'd at least try the Denon first and see how it sounds. The Yamaha gear I've listened to all seemed to be a less than perfect match with B&W - but of course that is just IMHO!