Yamaha-2200 or 3200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_Johnson, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Michael_Johnson

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V2200 locally. A couple of days later, they introduce the RX-V3200. I have yet to open the box on mine since we are remodeling the HT.

My question is this; Should I exchange my 2200 for the 3200 when it hits the shelf, time is not a real issue here as I will not be installing either for about two months. Dealer has no problem with this and will gladly take the 2200 back until the 3200 comes in.

Looking at the differences though, there is not a lot of difference, 20 watts more per channel and some additional DSP modes. I can't find the "smoking gun" that makes me want to fork over 3-4 hundred dollars more.

My heart says to exchange it and my head(wife) says where's the justification?

Help a guy out and tell me where the big difference is...

Thanks

2. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I'd exchange it in order to get the front effect speakers. This is something I love about my DSP-A3090. I'll be getting one of the Yamaha models that has this when I'm ready to purchase again.

3. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

Is there a difference in sound quality between the 1200, 2200, and soon-to-be 3200 besides a small increase in power?

How about if I were to use them as pre-pro's? Since the DSP chip is the same in all three units, I would expect that the three units would sound identical... has anyone experienced differently?

4. Joe Bauman

Joe Bauman Stunt Coordinator

One differance between the 2200 & 3200 is the DAMPING FACTOR. The 2200 is 80 while the 3200 is 200. The wording in the Yamaha fliers is a bit different too as far as the power supply goes.

2200 = 6 channel discreate amplifier configuration.

3200 = Discrete power supply configuration for all channels.

Probably the same thing but since the damping factor is greater, maybe the amps changed. ???

I have used to have the RXV 995 and I thought is was great. I eventually upgraded to the 2200. I don't know what happened but I can't stand listing to the 2200 in STEREO mode. The midrange just cuts right through me. All other equipment stayed the same. Defective? I don't know but I will swap it out with the 3200 or possibly go to Denon or Pioneer elite. Anyone got any opinions on DLP 2 capable receivers?

5. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

When is the RX-V3200 projected to be available and how much is it expected to cost?

6. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

according to the spec sheets, the 3200 wont have front effect speakers

7. Joe Bauman

Yamaha said they would post the 3200 on the web site mid to late Feburary so I would guess it will be at the stores by the end of March. I believe it goes for $1600.

8. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

here is the link to the specs:
    http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...fo/rxv3200.pdf
    notice that there is NO mention of front effect speakers...and where they list the wattage in the 3000 for F.E. in the 3200 its left blank
    in addition there is one less video input..overall i think going from the 3000 to the 3200 is a lateral move ay best

9. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks! I have a couple of months to decide if I want to upgrade from my RX-V800 to the RX-V3200.

10. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

2200 owner here. Someone mentioned the midrange annoyed them in stereo, and I felt the same when listening to my AR speakers on (what I imagined were) less-than-stellar recordings, so I'm demoing new Mains (radically different than ARs) just to find a better match.

I'm seriously entertaining the thought of either adding a 2- or 3-channel amp to deliver better stereo, or upgrading to the yet unreleased 3200. The power supply and heat sink(s), alone, on the 3200 (46+ lbs) must account for most of the 40%+ increase in the machine's weight over the 2200 (33+ lbs) model.

The 2200 power-wise easily creates a very dynamic HT experience in my 3200 cubic foot room! When the tanks, in Saving Private Ryan, start rolling across your floor, at a set (Yamaha) volume of -25 db, and you are expecting this scene, yet it still nearly makes you piss your pants, ..., well enough said!

11. Michael_Johnson

Thanks for the info. I probably will upgrade to the 3200 since time is not critical.
    Hope you have a dark colored chair so you don't leave any pee-stains[​IMG]

12. Joe Bauman

Anyone got the RXV 3200 Owners Manual in PDF format yet? If so, where can I get it from?

13. Joe Bauman

Another 2200 owner here. I tried to get rid of that annoying midrange by adding a 2 channel amp. While the amp did improve the overall dynamic impact of 2 channel music, that annoying midrange still remained. I have Paradigm Studio 60's for speakers which sounded great with my old RXV 995, but for some reason, with the the 2200, they sound like crap. Oh, woe is me. Let me know if you find a type of speaker (bright/warm) that sounds right with the 2200.

Outside of the stereo issue, the 2200 sounds great for HT. That is why I hate to switch to another brand.

14. Vince Chan

I am considering the newer Yamahas for a new receiver and I'm wondering what is it about the midrange that is bothering you guys? Do you find it too thin or too heavy?

I currently have an older rxv496 and I find it very bright sounding. I'm hoping that the newer models are less bright.

15. Joe Bauman

I wish I knew why the midrange sounded thin and ear piercing. Possibly it is due to the Paradigm speakers I have them connected to but they have always sounded fine with other receivers. Maybe the 2200 is a better receiver than others I have owned and it revels more of the quality of the recording. Maybe it is defective, or maybe I am. Either way, I'll find out when I swap it with a 3200.

Is anyone please with the sound of their rxv 1200 or 2200 in stereo mode? If so, what speakers do you use?

16. Vince Chan

I wish I knew if it was the processor or the amp section that was causing the brightness / midrange harshness. If it was the processor section then investing in a warmer external amp should solve the problem.. but I don't know... Anyone have experience with yammies hooked to external amps??

17. Joe Bauman

The owners manual for the RXV 3200 can be downloaded now from the Yamaha international site.

18. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

I am pleased with the stereo sound thru the 2200. It is better than the HK AVR80 receiver it has replaced. I'm demoing a pair of Axiom M22ti speakers mated to my a/d/s sub, and they are an improvement over the former AR 338 bookshelves in some ways (airiness, transparency). The Axioms also improves mid-range smoothness. I may just keep 'em. I jammed Peter Gabriel's Security and really got sucked into the sound.

19. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

20. Barry V

Barry V Extra

I have a 1200, used amp power with monitor 7 fronts, 350 center and mini rears. Unfortunately listened to ref 60's one day and ended up with 60's for fronts, cc center and adp's for rears. 1200 just didn't have the extra umph needed so added an anthem mca-2 for fronts and mca-3 for center and rears. Using the 1200 as a pre/pro only and amping the speakers makes a world of difference. It also helped clean up mid harshness.