Yamaha 2092 - adding 5.1 input modification

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff peterson, Apr 30, 2002.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

A while back, I printed instructions on how to add inputs to this receiver without them (it has optical and coax inputs). Since the receiver only had DD, not DTS; I was hoping to get one of the new Panny DVD players with the DTS decoder built in.

I still have the instructions but have a couple of questions:

1. It seems like this mod bypasses the receiver's preamp; if so, how is the volume controlled.

2. It also seems like when you are feeding a signal through the new jacks added during the mod, that whatever source the receiver is switched to at the time would still be sending a signal to the power amp section.

If anyone has done this mod; did it meet your expectations?

Should I just sell this receiver and save for a new one? Or go separates? I love its sound.

2. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

Jeff, I've been an owner of a 2092 since the first day it was available in Canada. I'm planning on replacing it with an Outlaw 950 and moving it to another room for a smaller 5.1 sound set up. Would it be possible for you to send those instructions to me so I can have a look at them? Once I have the 2092 removed I wouldn't mind tackling something like this.

Thanks.

3. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, I almost bought the 2092 back then and also agonizes over the lack of DTS, and lack of 5.1 inputs for thew future, so I waited a while and bought the RX-V3000 for $675 on closeout at the Good Guys. I am glad I did. In addition to the 6.1 inputs I use for my DVD Audio player, you get 5/8 channel stereo, 24 bit processors, more inputs, and parameter adjustments for the DSP modes to make them listenable, which I thought was not possible on the 2092. So, unless your in love with that receiver, I would upgrade.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Bump.

Trevor, I'll scan those instructions and email them to you when I get home today.

5. Rob Sitze

Rob Sitze Auditioning

Jeff, could you please send me a copy of those instructions too?
    [email protected]
    I have an older 2092 that is gathering dust and would love to use it as a staging amp.
    Thanks!