What's new

Yamaha 1400 vs. H/K 7200 (1 Viewer)

Steve Satch

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, we're comparing the HK which can be had for under $850 to a unit that's over 3k! Think about that!

CurtisC

Second Unit
I have the 7200,NO WAY it gets close to the 5803 in any regard,it can't even outperform the 3803 in pre/pro,IMO.For HT it will pass,for music aaaaarrrg.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Like I said, I am not claiming complete superiority of the H/K to the 5803. I am only saying that the amp section was quite clean and seemed a bit more powerful for MY application. I have switched back and forth between my cheapo DVD player and my cousins DVD 9000 as I have played around this past couple on months. Now as far as the DAC goes, I would have to say there is a difference. On movies it is less noticeable. On music there is a difference in the sound of the more sophisticated DAC on the Denon units compared to the H/K. As far as which one is better, that is always areguable. My H/T setup is 99% movies for me. The only time I run music through it is when my cousin is over trying to prove to me that his equipment is better than mine. All of this stuff is hard to state. Some speakers are smoother than others. Some DAC's are different than others. Everyone's expectations of sound are different. I know for me, on H/T, the h/k seemed to control the sound fields in my room better than the 5803. I felt a bit more enveloped by the movie. Probably just the power difference and a good match to my room, speakers, and my perceptions. I am not trying to say anything more. And just to add fire to this, I actually would have gotten a 5803 if I thought it sounded just that much better for my needs.

Just to add another topic. If I were gonna spend any more money. I would put the bulk of it in speakers. They make the most difference in my opinion.

Steve Satch

Stunt Coordinator
The 5803 is triple the price so it should be better. I won't be using the 7200 as a pre/pro. It's the amps I'm after. Is there a better receiver out there for $850 or less out the door?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Hey! Mine should arrive today 74# in the box.

Look, even if it is almost as good as the 3803 for the preamp, you have some great amps that compete with the 5803 and 47TX for a steal of a price. Got mine for 799 with free ship.:D
I expect to be blown away. My 3802 is great, but feel the need for more power man. And those basic amps I looked at were all more than $799 with less power.:thumbsdown:
If it's not a good RCVR, I will certainly let everyone know.

CurtisC

Second Unit
I also expected to be blown away,didn't happen for me.I will say that if a unit can't pass the music test for me its over.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

That's strange; I've always heard the exact opposite about Harman Kardon receivers in general *and* the 7200 in particular; that is, that it's very musical but not quite as good for home theater.

In any event, I've had an opportunity to use mine for some time now and am simply blown away. This is a magnificent piece of equipment.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you say its bad for music?
This will be used for probably 50/50 music/HT, if not more music.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
OK! This beast is heavy and big. I had a hole cut .5" too big and lifted this thing by myself to eye level to find out I needed to cut the hole bigger.:laugh:

Quality seemed good for a China product. After I figured out the peculiarities of the setup menu I fired it up and had to readjust the bass. The 7200 seemed to put out way too much bass to my sub as compared to my 3802. After fooling around with speaker selection without sucess, I turned my sub down and that solved the problem.:laugh:

Now I am debating 60 or 40 for a crossover.
It seems to be a cleaner amp than the 3802. Now I know what warm is when refering to the 3802.

Still need to do a EX/ES 6.1 discrete check this weekend with a good DVD.
It was worth every penny I paid for it, but was way overpriced at $1999. So far I am happy, just have the set up blues.
Can you use the extra remote as a regular remote? Or is it for special use only.

Has anyone messed with the channel levels and have any suggestions? Listening to Huey Lewis hits(lots of clean bass).:laugh: Wow rock on Huey!:D

CurtisC

Second Unit
Justin,its possible I got a Bad unit,but I dunno.It performed ok on some and bad on most music.I set the treble at 9 oclock and it still sounded like the treble was on max.I didn't have this problem w/the 3803/02 and dvda,sacd were totally different sounding.Its a great build and looks choicie,if yours sounds good to you thats all that matters.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
The treble is very clean on mine and the bass is not intrusive. It definately has a different sound than the Denon. But I think the HK is cleaner. The Denon is mellow.You may want to try a reset. I do not know if there is a band width adjustment yet. I have not got that far in my research of the manual. You can access most functions on the front pannel, which the 3802 did not have.
I just did a Gladiator check and ex and es work fine so far. There is sound out of all the speakers even if it only shows sound being input into certain channels on the front pannel display.
I have turned up my surround backs and surrounds to max=10. I like to hear the stuff in the back all the time and I had to do the same with the Denon. I even turned down my center on the Denon to get a larger difference in the surrounds.
A guy at work said to run it all day for 30 days.
Any suggestions on a DVD to check out the surround sound in action?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I wanted to buy the 47TX but the prices on those are not dropping. $1800 verses $799? I could not justify the price difference. The 4802R was a real option at $1400. But again that is almost double the price. At that point you need a 7 channel basic amp. And I had no real place to put an add on amp without redoing my Home Theater center.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Yeah,my basis is I've owned about ten different avr's under 2k,the 7200 was the worst for music to ME.I have a large collection of music from the 60's through today and most of it sounds shrill and congested on the 7200 at any loud volume.I stated I may have a bad unit,if everybody else loves theirs for music maybe its just mine.PS and it hisses twice as loud as any of the others at min.volume.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
If anything, I turn the treble up a teensy bit on my 7200, and there's virtually no hiss at all at low volumes. I've also never heard anyone describe the 7200 sound as "shrill." If anything, it's been described as "warm." Mine? "Just right." The 7200 is a beautiful machine, and there's just no way anybody is finding a better receiver for $800 right now, IMHO. Not even close. IMHO.:D

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I've gotta add, I'd been hunting for a new receiver for months, and in a lower price range, but when the 7200 deal popped up, I knew I had to jump in before they were gone or I'd regret it later, so I went a couple/few hundred dollars over my limit and bought it. Seems a shame that some folks just don't see this great deal for what it is, keep looking for reasons *not* to buy this receiver, because they're liable to wish later that they'd not hesitated. The really good deals on the really good receivers only come along once in a pretty long while. Oh well, I can't say I didn't try!:frowning:

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
CurtisC

No hiss of any kind on mine, at any volume. Try a reset and then do a return. You must have a bad unit. Are you using a pramp for a turntable?Or are you all digital? Does it hiss on DVD? This unit will soon be "was a steal". Anyone who bought this for a first receiver will have a hard time finding a better upgrade down the road. Like I said, if I could have bought a 4802r or 47x for 1200 or less, I would have done it.

The front panel is awesome! Optical inputs and all front inputs can be made as outputs,wow!

ps/ The more I turn the volume up the more it fills the room with full spectrum sound. This does not become loud like some recievers with insufficient power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks