Yamaha 1400 Turning Itself Off

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Davey_T, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Davey_T

Davey_T Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone run into this problem? When I run my new Yamaha RXV-1400 for about 30 minutes, it turns itself off. If I then turn it back on, it immediately shuts off again. Following the troubleshooting tips in the manual, I unplug it for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and it turns on. But then it runs for about 10 minutes and shuts off again.

I felt the top of the receiver and it felt warm, but not super-hot. According to the manual, there are a few causes:

1. Impedance mismatch - Receiver is set to 8ohms, my speakers are 8ohms.
    2. Crossed speaker wire - I checked all wires carefully, then I unplugged all but the center channel--still had the problem. Reset the receiver and connected the right front channel. Still had the problem.
    3. Static discharge - This is covered by the "unplug it, plug it back in" solution.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else seen this on a 1400, or perhaps a 2400?

I have brought it back to the dealer and they're trying it out now--I just wondered if anyone else had seen the problem.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Davey_T

It looks like I jumped the gun, here. Just after I wrote this, I got a call from the store. They're having the same problem. Looks like it's a bad unit.

Phew! I'm NOT losing my mind!

Dave

3. Joe_on

Joe_on Stunt Coordinator

so,how do you like the yamaha 1400? did it meet your expectations? I am thinking of getting one online which I have seen for around 500 and change. And I am planning to get infinity TSS750 speakers which go around 799 at CC but I can get it for 400 and change online too.

What speakers do you have and are you happy with them?

4. Davey_T

To be honest, I was sick the past couple of days and haven't even finished connecting the last speaker wire on my replacement unit. (Yes...THAT sick!)

I don't think I have enough experience yet to make a good judgment. Before it shut itself off, it sounded great with movies. The center channel sounded a little on the low side volume-wise once I ran YPAO, but I think that's just because I've never heard a calibrated system. I do want to cross-check the levels using DVE and an SPL meter once I get it back up and running. I think I'm just not used to hearing movies as the director intended, maybe.

I found music a little weak on the low end once I ran YPAO, but my projector was on at the time I ran it, and directly above the mic. I think I'll run it with the new unit without the projector on and see how it works out. I've also read that running it more than once is good, too.

So give me a few weeks to play and I'll see if I can post an update!

Dave