1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha 1200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Melville_H, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Melville_H

Melville_H Auditioning

I just tried to order one from onecall and the sales rep. told me they dont sell them via mail order. He then told me the HTR-5490 is just about the same unit. How true is this guys. Im looking for a new reciever since my 2802 disappeared from my brothers house along with some other gear that got stolen. How good is the Onkyo 600? I could get that from J&R since they ship to the VI.

2. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

I do not believe that there is a significant difference between the RX-V and the HTR Yamaha lines. One is designed for audio retailer sale, and the other for online/mass market retail sale. I think there are some subtle differences, such as the color of the lettering on the faceplate. I would go ahead and buy the one Onecall said was the same as the model you wanted.

3. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    ManojM is correct. The best way to verify that the HTR-5490 is the RX-V1200 equivalent is to check at www.yamaha.com by looking up both models and comparing the specs.
    Some people seem to think that the HTR line is inferior to the RX-V line. These people are wrong. If you look for it you will find a statement on the Yamaha site stating that the two are identicle except for the front panel which has a different "Yamaha" logo and model number. Everything else (including price) is the same, they are even built in the same factory.
    - Mike

4. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

1200 has a removable power cord and 12 volt trigger

the other does not

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I believe the remote is different between the two as well. But it sucks either way. Invest in a good universal remote.

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I don't think the 5490 has preouts which means it can't be upgraded in the future. Also if I remember right there was a post on this forum where someone had compared the two receivers & that the 5490 seemed to be on the bright side compared to the 1200. Try doing a search on this forum for the report.