Yam HTR-5660/RX-V640: HD component switching?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Josh~H, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

Just for the heck of it, I tried hooking up my HD receiver to my HTR-5660, and then on to my TV. Channels that are "HD" according to Comcast still looked fine, though I don't think I was watching any true 1080i source material -- just movies on HBOHD and SHOHD. I'll try again when ESPNHD broadcasts a game that I know is in HD.

I have a couple questions about this component video switching business. First, it was my understanding that the HTR-5660 and RX-V640 were "essentially" the same unit. However, the specifications on Yamaha's website for the 5660 says the component bandwidth is 30Mhz while the 640 is 60Mhz. Does anyone know offhand what the bandwidth requirement is for 1080i? I'm supposing it's greater than 30Mhz, but what would the symptoms of insufficient bandwidth be? Since the signal coming from the HD receiver to the AVR is analog, I suppose the symtoms could include a grainy picture, colors that don't look right, etc.

Also, I wonder if the 60Mhz vs the 30Mhz was a "value-added" feature to the 640, or perhaps the 5660 was intentionally crippled in order to get the HD crowd to shop at higher-end dealers for the 640. Or, maybe both are 60Mhz and Yamaha only advertises it as 30Mhz on the 5660 in order to make the 640 look more attractive. Both units retail for $499, so I'd be slightly surprised if the 640 had "extra" features. Any thoughts on what's really going on here?

Finally, is it even a good idea to be using component switching on somewhat low-end AVR's like this (I'm not just talking about HD component, but more along the lines of DVD's)? I can see a clear improvement in image quality when using my Monster Video 2 component cables vs the cheap suckers that Comcast provided me...so there's a chance that the internal switching on my 5660 will be the weak link that makes my video quality suffer. Anyone have any experience with the quality of the switches/connections in this or similar AVR's?

2. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

RX-V and HTR lines are exactly the same. HTR is meant for commercial stores and RX-V are meant for specialty stores. They don't make any changes between the 2 lines except for the model number.

3. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

4. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

I was under the impression that they were essentialy the same units as well. But I do know they rate the amps differently. 1khz test tone on the HTR's while the RX-V's get the nice 20-20,000 test. Oh yeah, the coloring on the letters are different. Other than that, I think that's all of the differences. But you may want to shoot Yamaha an E-mail, maybe they will reply.

Good Luck,
    Lee

5. Edwin_C

6. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

7. Edwin_C

hmm I think I know where the confusion is coming in.

Comparison charts:
    COMPONENT VIDEO SWITCHING DC to 60Mhz

Manuals:
    Monitor Output Frequency Response
    Component Signal DC-30MHz, -3dB

The second one is stating the output frequency, the first one i'm not too sure what it's stating.

The link to the manuals are here

8. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

Edwin -

Yeah, it looks like the 640's manual has the DC to 30Mhz thing...but you'll also notice that there's a big 'ole "TENTATIVE" watermark stamped across that page.

The plot thickens! [​IMG]

9. Edwin_C

Yeah, I noticed that too. That's why I also looked at the 440/540/740 manual. According to the link you gave me, the 440, 540, 640, and 740 all have the same basics for the preamp. All of them have DC to 30 MHz.

I think what you're comparing and what I'm comparing are 2 different things. 1 of them states the monitor out frequency, the other states COMPONENT VIDEO SWITCHING (maybe the internal frequency?).

posted a link on the other post, check it out

10. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

11. Edwin_C

Well, first off.. that product sheet is for the Japanese model. There's a good chance that the Japanese and American version are different, and it seems to be so from looking at the picture of the receiver.

I highly doubt that Yamaha would put any different technology in the RX-V then they would in the HTR line.

12. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

13. Edwin_C

You're right, I don't [​IMG]

Look at the manual for the 440, 540, and 740. They don't have tentative stamped across it, and they all have monitor out freq. response to be DC to 30 MHz. That product sheet doesn't state that 5 Hz - 60 MHz is the monitor out freq. response, it only states that it's 'COMPONENT VIDEO SWITCHING'.

Waiting on e-mail...

14. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

15. Kerry

Kerry Auditioning

I sent this to Yamaha on 10/22. Edit: Please note - the paragraph below is what I sent to Yamaha. When it says "your site" and "your brochure" that refers to Yamaha's site, not this one. This site was never mentioned in my question.

I'm concerned about my HTR-5660. When I bought it, I had read the brochure (which I downloaded from your site), which specifies a component video output of 60 MHz. However, now that I'm close to purchasing an HDTV set, I was told the 5660 outputs only 30 MHz. I decided to check the manual, and sure enough, the specs say 30 MHz. Which is it? If it's just 30, I have to say I'm extremely disappointed, because I will have been mislead by your brochure.

16. Kerry

Kerry Auditioning

I received this answer from Yamaha. I have to say, I'm very disappointed. I didn't find this information until after the 30day return policy had expired.

17. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor