Yam 5250 + Pioneer DV333--How do I get PCM 96kHz sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMatson, Aug 16, 2001.

1. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I want to listen to the 96kHz 24bit PCM track on the Se7en DVD. I can connect via analog or optical. I have read the Yamaha manual, but I can't find my Pioneer manual. I am getting sound through analog inputs, but the 5250 is not displaying "PCM" as it shows in the manual if it is receiving a PCM signal. I don't get any sound through the optical inputs. I thought that the DV333 could pass a digital 96kHz signal and I thought the Yammie could receive one...
    Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

I'm having the same problems with my Yamaha RX-V3000. When it switches to the 96kHz track, there's no sound. When the menu is playing, I can see that is says f/s=48k in:2/0 but once I switch to 96kHz mode on the DVD, the message disappears and I get no sound.

3. ChrisMatson

Donovan-
    Are you using the Pioneer DV333? Anyone else have some advice?

4. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chris,
    No... I'm using a Panasonic RV31. Seems to have the same problem.

5. ChrisMatson

Anyone? Thanks.

6. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm....
    Try double-checking your audio setup menu on your DVD player. I know on the Toshiba I used to have, the PCM bitrate defaulted to 48KHz.
    I haven't even tried doing 96KHz with my new Yamaha HTR-5280 yet. Maybe I should try doing that later with my Sony player.
    ------------------

7. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

I vaguely remember reading something in my DVD player manual (Pioneer DVL-919) that when PCM 96 is selected in the setup menu, you will get NO sound if playing a copyrighted disc. Or something along those lines. I'll go look it up again and post back later.
    ------------------
    http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

8. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

Since I don't have my manual handy at the moment, I went to Pioneer's web site. They did had a PDF of the manual for the 434, which I assume would be very similar to your 333 model. On page 26 it says:
    On DVDs that contain copy protection, the 96 kHz signal may only be output from the analog audio jacks.
    It also mentions this (digital output is prohibited on some discs when PCM Out is set to 96 kHz) in the Troubleshooting section of the manual (page 52).
    ------------------
    http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/