What's new

Y'all gettin ready for The Mas'ers? Will Phil choke as usual? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Great point, Brian. I also enjoyed the expanded weekend coverage this year as well. We now know what the front nine at Augusta looks like! :D
All things considered, CBS broadcast, the course, etc..., this is the greatest golf (theater/tournament) period. :emoji_thumbsup:

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I'm amazed at how humble Tiger has become. The media is trying to get him to malign his competitors but he refuses. I think he now understands that to truly become a legend you must kick ass on the golf course but also handle himself like a gentleman off course. What a guy!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Drew,

I agree that Tiger seems to gave gained some humility. I think this is just him continuing to mature as a person as well as a player. He said all the right things after winning on Sunday, and his remarks did seem sincere. It was nice that he acknowledged Arnold Palmer and his last Masters appearance. Arnie, more than any other player, is responsible for the popularity of the game today.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With a little age and maturity, Tiger has learned to let his clubs do his talking while remaining humble with his spoken words.

Crawdaddy

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I bet my friend $5 that Tiger would win and he could have everyone else in the field. Well, I'm $5 richer...

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I'm a huge Tiger Woods fan. I haven't hinged on every word that has come out of his mouth in the last 20 years, but when was he not humble?

On a different note, I remember a time in sports when the very first words that came out of the mouth a newly crowned champion in any sport was some sort of a nod of repsect for his opponent, i.e "First of all I'd like to thank my opponent(s) who fought very hard today, but luckily I was able to put some stuff together and walk away with a win" or something like that. These days, much of that is gone. I once got into a heated debate along these same lines concerning the Williams sister. Sports has become such big time business that athletes have to take some strange measures to keep their "edge". Often this can seem unsportsman like.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me started on the Williams Sisters! I think they are very talented tennis players. But when they lose, they blame it on their own lack of play on that particular day. They have never, as far as I have read, ever praised their opponents for actually playing better. That's the way they have been brought up I'm afraid. Tiger has the right attitude and it is directly related to his upbringing.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Peter, this all sounds so familar but let me ask you this? When was the last time you heard Capriati, Hingis, Seles, etc. praise their opponent? It's not just the Williams sisters. Like I said, I think it has something to do with keeping their edge. Sportmanship has taken a back seat.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm a huge Tiger Woods fan. I haven't hinged on every word that has come out of his mouth in the last 20 years, but when was he not humble?
Earlier in his career, Tiger would make comments when he won tournaments that "he didn't have his 'A' game", saying it in such a way that inferred that he could beat everyone even when he wasn't playing well. He seemed to have more of an arrogance and selfishness about him that was probably a product of his youth and all the attention that was being paid to him.

Tiger has been very close to Arnold Palmer, and some of Arnie's grace and class seems to be rubbing off. I'm sure most of it is just Woods becoming a more mature person, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks