What's new

Y'all gettin ready for The Mas'ers? Will Phil choke as usual? (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
It will be interesting to see how the players cope with the new design and additional length of Augusta.

I'm a die hard Tiger fan so my money is on him. If Tiger is not in the runnings a Daly win would be most excellent - as long as he doesn't dispatch his driver into the drink :b

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Ah, the rites of Spring. The golf season officially starts for me with The Masters.
I would love to see John Daly, Fred Couples or Sergio wear the green jacket this year. Will Phil choke as usual? Of course! That is what Mickelson does better than anyone else on tour. :D

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I will be shocked if Tiger doesn't finish in the top five. The added length plays right into his hands. It all depends on how his putter is going. It will be interesting to see how the new Tiger, Charles Howell, does.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Veejay, Mickelson, Tiger... on HDTV.... oh my! I'm not getting much done this weekend.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am really looking forward to this year's Masters. I think the course modifications will turn Augusta into a real championship course again. The past few years the tourney has become more of a putting contest, with the long hitters using wedges into greens that Hogan would use a long iron on. This will also be my first HDTV Masters.

Until Mickelson changes his mental approach to the game, I do not expect him to win a major. He takes too many dumb chances that are unnecessary. That, coupled with his erratic driving, gives him little chance in a major. He will always self-destruct. Phil claims he's just being aggressive, but there is a fine line between aggressive and stupid golf.

That being said, I agree with the rest of the world that this is Tiger's tournament to lose. The course modifications eliminate virtually all the shorter hitters. Daly, with his length and underrated short game, may be a factor for the first time in many years at Augusta.

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
Ewwwww. The Masters. I grew up in Augusta and lived in an apartment right next to the course for about 5 years. (During the tournament I could hear applause from my front door.) I even worked concessions as a teenager.
I can't tell you how much I hated the tournament. Arrgghhh. Traffic. Obnoxious rich people. High prices. Traffic.
I even worked at a Baskin Robbins ice cream store owned and run by Larry Mize' parents. They were not nice people. I have nothing but contempt for the Masters and the 'sport' of golf.
Sorry for the rant. This thread just brought up bad memories. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The course has been lengthened by 285 yards. Will that make that much difference? Is the rough really rough?

I was able to attend a practice round at the Masters the year before Tiger turned pro (it was cool to see him paired with Nicklaus and the Shark that day - IIRC), and you could have putted on the "rough" at Augusta that year. I think the rough is a little rougher, but not much of a challenge for the pro's.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Scott,
About the length...I've heard/read interviews from some players who believe that some of the long hitters will be forced to lay up as well - or suffer the consequences of a slightly mishit shot. But at least they still have the option to go for it or layup. The players are also saying that they have never seen greens so fast. This will be a true tee-to-green test and might even humiliate a few players. My phone will be off the hook from Thur - Sun :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
About the length...I've heard/read interviews from some players who believe that some of the long hitters will be forced to lay up as well - or suffer the consequences of a slightly mishit shot.
Of course, the longer hitters will still have the advantage of hitting shorter irons, while the shorter hitters may now even be forced to use fairway woods to reach these greens. The advantage will still be with the longer hitters.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wow, simply amazing to watch the best golfers in the world pick up snowmen on their scorecards in Amen Corner.

Congrats to Tiger for knowing how to lead a tournament and not give it away. He's now 23 of 25 when he's leading or tied after 54 holes.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
What a strange sports run the past couple of weeks. A great (and entertaining) NCAA basketball tournament ends with a sloppy final game - which nobody apparently wanted to win.

Now The Masters has an unusually sloppy final round where everyone was less than stellar.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Only one golfer broke 70 in the final round today. the changes that the Masters made had golfers paying for taking chances down Amen corner. I was hoping for Retief to drain the birdie on 17, and if Tiger doesn't drain the par saving putt, it would have been a 2 shot swing, and the commentator would have had something to talk (like Venturi mentioned). :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Most of the leaders looked like me out there on the back 9! :) Tiger was not required to do anything extraordinary to win -- he just had to avoid the mistakes that doomed everyone else. Woods proved once again that his greatest asset on the course is his mind -- he is so tough mentally that it would be a shock to see him blow a lead.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
It was nice that CBS didn't use any station bugs during the telecast (and that there were only 4 minutes of commercials per hour).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks