What's new

yahoo mail dilemma (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Here's a question to which I can not find an answer. Maybe you can help.

I have a Yahoo mail email account. I have a folder on my Yahoo email account page. The folder of emails contains about 800 emails. I'd like to archive these emails in the form of TEXT FILES and download them and burn them to a CDROM for purposes of future use.

HOW DO YOU DOWNLOAD YAHOO EMAIL FILES AS TEXT FILES FOR ARCHIVING?

Yahoo email online help is notoriously unresponsive (it's almost like Yahoo is a robot company with no humans there to talk to). The Yahoo FAQ does not even come close to this question. I know that there are (or, there must be) freeware programs that would do this archiving, but I don't know where to find this kind of stuff.

How do you download Yahoo email files as text?

Any help, knowledge, direction would be appreciated. Thank you!

MC

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Not sure if there is a way to do it to TXT files.

If you have POP3 access to your Yahoo mail (which I think costs a few bucks a month), you could download all your mail and archive it with your email client.

I have used Yahoo Mail Plus for a couple years and like it.

Jeff

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Shoot. I don't want the solution to this to be technical ("POP3"?) or to involve money.

I want free and easy.

Too much to ask?

MC

SethH

Senior HTF Member
POP3 means "use Outlook or Outlook Express to download your Yahoo emails." This requires the premium service which does cost money. There may be another way to do it, but I'm not sure what it would be.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
You mean, how do you delete a Yahoo email address you don't want? I have found that if you merely don't touch the account for a certain amount of time (6 months?), Yahoo closes the account for you. If that's what you mean.

MC

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if that'll work for only 'new/incoming' messages and not 'old/saved' ones? I guess you can mark all of your messages 'unread' and see if it works that way.

As far as downloading all, it seems that Yahoo! Mail Plus is the only way.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking that too, but you can't forward more than one at a time. But man, if you're going to forward 1,600 messages to circumvent spending $19.99.... ;)

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
Short of printing them all out, you could copy and paste into Word. Then you should be able to save and then burn them.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
If you only used yahoo mail for online registration or other 'junk mail services', you wouldn't be too concerned about it. I only use Yahoo for subscription/registraion/eBay and personal mail goes to my ISP mail account. It separates the non-essentails.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Huh. I have tried the copy-and-paste-into-Word thing, and that's tedious, especially for a huge and growing file of emails.

I have printed whole binders-worth (binder-worths?) of these emails -- this is a prodigious correspondence.

I am even tempted to go buy an cheapie b&w laser printer just to print them all out and be done with it. More binders.

I'd just like to archive to disc... Darn it.

MC

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
??? I thought you wanted cheap?? Why not pay for Yahoo Plus and download them all? That's cheaper than a printer.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor

Then why spend $60 on a printer when you can spend a couple bucks to upgrade your Yahoo account to allow you to download the mail to your own PC.

Hooking up a printer, and installing printer drivers is certainly more "technical" than downloading your yahoo mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks