What's new

Yahama RX-V1 or Denon AVR-4802? (1 Viewer)

GlennA

Auditioning
Hi everyone: Thanks for the comments for those who responded to my question regarding the purchase of a Yahama RX-V1. I'm down to either purchasing that unit or a Denon AVR-4802. Since the Yahama is an older unit and has been discontinued, I could get it for $700 less than the Denon. In a side-by-side comparison of the sound, the Denon is my favorite, but not by much. So, the question is, "is it worth spending $700 more for the Denon?" The Denon, in addition to having slightly better sound, does have two advantages: (1) Dolby Pro Logic 2 on the Denon, Dolby Pro Logic on the Yahama; (2) DTS-ES Discrete processing on the Denon, DTS-ES on the Yahama - am I right that the Denon has a newer chip for DTS processing?
If there's anything else you could add that might sway me one way or the other, I'm all ears. The Denon is nice, but $700 could go a long way towards other components...

Cheers,
Glenn

If the extra $700 does'nt put you out then get the Denon. I dont say this because I feel the the Denon is better but because it sound like you prefer the 4802. You need to be happy with you purchase and not always thinking what if.

Matt

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Matt. If the Denon doesn't break the bank and in your heart of hearts you like it the best, don't skimp and kick yourself later. My mom had some good advice for me a while back: " In a couple of years you'll forget about the money, but not today's enjoyment". Of course, only if you can truly afford it. Will you be mad at yourself for blowing too much on one component, now you can't afford speakers or something? Or will you wish you had gone for what you knew sounded better to you? What do you think will eat at you a few months down the road?
R

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Glenn
You can,t go wrong with either choice, both are great receivers however I wouldn,t give to much weight to Denon's ability to decode DTS ES Discrete of the thousands of DVD's Currently available only 18 or so are DTS ES Discrete. I have two receivers PLII capable and still prefer my RX-V1 and DPL.

Users who are viewing this thread