What's new

Y Tu Mama Tambien (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Much as I liked Y Tu Mama Tambien, I think it's a bit over-hyped. At the risk of repeating what I've said eleswhere:
SPOILER ALERT: The film gets a lot of mileage out of some superficial political observations. Are we surprised to see security forces detaining peasants? Are we surprised to see multiple bodyguards? Are we surprised to see that a boy knows the town his live-in housekeeper comes from but little else about her history? Are we surprised that the girls go to Europe to learn history while the Aztec namesake gets wasted?
If being surprised with a film's story becomes the major criteria in judging its beauty then very few films in recent memory have done this for me. Instead, it is the overall package that is more important - the acting, journey, mood, delivery, etc. that Alfonso Cuaron & Co. have brought forward with this film that appealed to me and at the same time making it much that more memorable and above any other film I have yet to see this year.
~Edwin

frank h

Auditioning
Quote:

"If being surprised with a film's story becomes the major criteria in judging its beauty then very few films in recent memory have done this for me. Instead, it is the overall package that is more important - the acting, journey, mood, delivery, etc. that Alfonso Cuaron & Co. have brought forward with this film that appealed to me and at the same time making it much that more memorable and above any other film I have yet to see this year."

Yep. Fairly put. My problem was not with the movie but rather the movie's hype. The movie has some social comment. By saying it did not "surprise" I was trying to say it simply affirms my prejudices.

Y Tu Mama Tambien illustrated some Mexican problems well. But IMO the visuals & authoritative voice-over doesn't get past what we already know from network news.

A few reviews had lead me to believe that Y Tu Mama offered new insight into Mexico's problems. IMO such hype was wrong. But I want to be clear that

A) I never saw the director or actors making such boasts &

B) the movie works. Y Tu Mama Tambien does not feel like it attempted to offer amazing insight into social problems and failed. It succeeeds with more modest goals.

Y Tu Mama Tambien is still excellent. It's well above the standard road/coming-of-age picture. I appreciated the "overall package" and frank sexuality.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
CHAROLASTRAS!
Here are some additional comments after my second viewing. *SPOILERS* abound so proceed at your own risk!
The story of Luisa is truly a heartbreaker. Orphaned at an early age and raised by someone who in turn, she ends up caring her due to her old age, her life story is one of many bad lucks and full of disappointments. She is a woman trying to make something of herself despite her poor background and lack of interest in current affairs. The latter is not so easy to do especially with the crowd she is forced to hang around with along with her husband. When she leaves with Tenoch and Julio, the camera pans to a collage of pictures on a wall in her apartment representing the family she only knew in her life.
One does not have to listen to the voice over narrative to bring home the theme of classism that Alfonso Cuaron very much wants to bring to the forefront. This is very evident in the friendship between Tenoch and Julio. This friendship was on a very basic level and something that wasn’t going to last even with that surprising turn in the end.
This all came about in one of their arguments and during the “truth session” they all had. Its funny how the truth can outright be said once under the influence of alcohol. Both knew their place in society especially when Tenoch tells Julio that he is nothing but “white trash” and a “social climber”. Really, was there any friendship left after that was uttered?
After Julio’s revelation to Tenoch and Tenoch tells him that they can never be friends again, that pretty much unsealed their entire friendship.
The film was funnier the second time around especially during some of the sex scenes as intended. This is a well-written and directed film.
Diego Luna was really good here as Tenoch. He showed a wide range of emotions and was very natural at it. Of course, the same can be said of Gael Garcia Bernal (Julio) and Maribel Verdu (Luisa). Case in point, when she says goodbye to her husband over the phone putting his feelings first before hers by not telling her the real reason for her leaving even after his “reaffirmations”.
Y Tu Mama Tambien works on so many levels and deals with so many themes . It is a bold, confident and well-acted film and is the one to beat in 2002.
~Edwin

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The film had a Spring 2001 debut in Mexico and is now the second highest grossing Mexican film of all time over there. It was also released at the Venice Film festival in the Fall.

While it was nominated at the Golden Globes, it was not released until the Spring of this year in North America - the release schedule I use when categorizing films. Many North American based critics will be categorizing this one as a 2002 film when coming up with their Top 10 lists later in the year.

~Edwin

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Many North American based critics will be categorizing this one as a 2002 film
For what it is worth, The NY Times reviewed it in September of 2001 (which when I saw it). Whether the Times' critics will go along with the fiction that it is a 2002 movie, I don't know.
I do wish though, that there is a greater realization as to how long we often have to wait for foreign language films to open here (compared to US films opening abroad). The Murderous Maids just opened in NYC somthing like two years after I saw it. Meanwhile the new Brian De Palma movie opened in France before here. Too often we are second class film citizens.
Ted

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
For what it is worth, The NY Times reviewed it in September of 2001 (which when I saw it). Whether the Times' critics will go along with the fiction that it is a 2002 movie, I don't know.
While I am not familiar with all of the New York Times critics, those that I know did not list it in their Top 10 lists - Stephen Holden, Dave Kehr, Elvis Mitchell, A.O. Scott.

Holden and Mitchell however, listed Amores Perros in their Top 5 for 2001, which technically, is a 2000 film.

~Edwin

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Based on Academy rules, it probably won't be eligible for the 2002 Oscars for Best Foreign Language film as the film already played in its originating country in 2001. Whether Mexico submitted it for consideration, I don't know.

However, I believe it is still eligible for Best Picture as I am under the impression that it never played for a full week in a theater in L.A. County to be eligible.

But I doubt if it will make a run for BP.

~Edwin

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
While I am not familiar with all of the New York Times critics, those that I know did not list it in their Top 10 lists - Stephen Holden, Dave Kehr, Elvis Mitchell, A.O. Scott.
Elvis Mitchell reviewed it, and considering how positive the review is, I suspect it will end up on his 2002 list. For his review dated October 6, 2001 click here.
I suspect that it was submitted for the Foreign Language film nomination at this year's Oscars and was not nominated. I know for sure that it was nominated by the Golden Globes, and I thought they work from the same list.
Ted

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
What a shame it didn't get a foreign film nomination. Does anyone know if it's possible or probable that Mexico didn't submit it to the academy? I understand that they pulled it from the theater at some point? Is that true?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Very good film. I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while. The script is just spot on entertaining. Be forewarned that it's got plenty of frank sex dialog and scenes. So if you (or someone you're seeing it with is prudish), this is not the film for you (or them). But this film is worth seeking out in the smaller theaters because it's just really really good cinema with more than just the surface level at work.

I give it a grade of A, or 4 stars out of 4.

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw it... I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I caught pieces here and there, and it was interesting to note variations from the subtitles (typically, stuff omitted). For anybody who's interested in catching it and not already familiar with the Castilian accent, Luisa's accent is most prominent when she says "Gracias" (i.e. thanks), where the 'c' gets more of a 'th' sound than an 's' sound. At least, that's where I first noticed it. Once I was aware, I caught it on at least one other word, but I don't remember which.

My knowledge of the MFL (that'd be the Mexican soccer league) isn't that great, but I have the impression that Campos plays or played for America (the club that is dis'ed as two of the rules in the manifesto), hence the dirty looks from Tenoch and Julio on the beach.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Craig: what did you think about the Naco = White Trash and Fresa = Yuppie? The Naco struck me as accurate when translating across cultures. There really isn't a sweeping word for lower class/classless/rude/ignorant in US-English that I know so white trash seems to fit the bill. The fresa translation didn't strike me as accurate though, but somewhat accurate once they translated naco as white trash.
For a couple of chilangos they know how to have a good time. ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I give it a grade of A, or 4 stars out of 4.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Patman, I think this may be the first film on which you and I have ever agreed!
M.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
My knowledge of the MFL (that'd be the Mexican soccer league) isn't that great, but I have the impression that Campos plays or played for America (the club that is dis'ed as two of the rules in the manifesto),
I'm not sure if he still is, but Campos was the showboating goalkeeper for the Mexican national team. He played in MLS for a few years (started with the LA Galaxy), but I'm not sure what's happened to him since. He's one of those players you either love or hate, which is probably why the mention of his name gets such a reaction.

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan -

Craig: what did you think about the Naco = White Trash and Fresa = Yuppie?
That's not one of the pieces I caught, I wasn't familiar with those words (might not even have picked them out), so I just went with the subtitles. "White trash" seems a little strong for a description of Julio's station, but then again, it might well be how Tenoch sees him. Dunno that I'm wild about "Yuppie" either, but again, it's probably the best description in only a word or two.

My colloquial vocabulary (in Spanish, I mean) is pretty weak, and I don't think my verb conjugations are what they used to be. Aside from the occasional soccer broadcast and now this movie, I haven't really used any of my Spanish in the last six or seven years (when I had to stop taking it in college).

Mark - I know Campos used to play for the Galaxy (and he went to the Fire, too, only to get beat out by Zach Thornton at the position), but I also have the vague idea that he either plays with America (the soccer club) or did enough in the past to be identified with the team.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
"What about number three?!"
"What?!"
"Rule number three of your manifesto! You do not screw each other's girlfriends!"
"That's number five!! Number five!!"
I am making this my signature, as soon as I can't get the quotes right. Oh doggonit, I am doing it now ;)
I had to ressurect this thread - is there an official discussion?
Un-freaking-believable movie, of which I was seeing only two distinct layers (that itself is a prowess) and sniffing a third one, which becomes glaringly obvious at the end, redefines the movie, and warrants repeat viewings.
It is that third layer that works the most for me, that will make this one stick to my mind as a very grim movie despite it's light hearted appearance.
Death. This film is littered with it, from the very first accident on that bridge to the fate of the pigs. Yet the youth, sexuality, passion and freedom of the characters makes the movie such a celebration of life that the moments death rears it's ugly head only seem to serve to put that burstling life into perspective. That is until the end where it is here to stay, where we have to acknowledge the fatalism that this film bathed in all along.
--
Holadem

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Mark - I know Campos used to play for the Galaxy (and he went to the Fire, too, only to get beat out by Zach Thornton at the position), but I also have the vague idea that he either plays with America (the soccer club) or did enough in the past to be identified with the team.
He never played with America. He played with UNAM, Atlante and Cruz Azul.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks