Y Tu Mama Tambien: Commentary track in Spanish; not subtitled

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gabe Oppenheim, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Gabe Oppenheim

Gabe Oppenheim Stunt Coordinator

Subject self-explanatory

I just wanted to give anyone who might be interested in this disc because of the commentary (and doesn't speak Spanish) notice that the track is not subtitled.

It's probably not the most revelatory track ever; it's an actor track, and sounds like a big party. Then again, it might be a fun party to listen to.

I wasn't bothered about the lack of subs for the French commentary on Amelie, but, since this one lacks an English version of the commentary, I feel a smidge left out.

The rest of the disc seems pretty great; I haven't had a chance to watch the movie through yet, though.

I guess that this just makes me appreciate the Amores Perros disc just a little bit more than before.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I wonder if Cuarón would speak in English on an eventual Prisoner of Azkaban commentary?[​IMG]

3. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Im very fluent in spanish, so im not worried[​IMG] I still think that they should of included english subtitles for those who dont understand spanish...
    l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

4. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

The commentary tracks on the three-disc Brotherhood of the Wolf aren't subtitled either. [​IMG]

5. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The R2 UK DVD does have English subtitles for the commentary for those who want to listen to it and don't speak Spanish (such as myself).

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

7. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Thanks, Julian.

R2-UK it is then. It amazes me really that MGM couldn't get this one right. Obviously they got the commentary track from somewhere else because both Alfonso Cuarón and his two lead actors speak excellent English. If the commentary had been intended for the R1 release it could have been in English...

Of course they simply could have subtitled the thing like the UK commentary...

Ted

8. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I feel that all commentaries should be sub-titled.

English subs for the hearing impaired. And if a dvd has French or Spanish subs for the movie itself then it should also have French or Spanish subs for the commentary.

I really don't think this would be all that difficult for the studios to do.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Well, I'm disappointed. This is just the kind of personal movie that I'd love to hear the commentary for... particularly since Cuaron has mostly been a hired-gun for the studios.

So the R2 release is otherwise the same or better, as well as including subs for the commentary?

10. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I'd love to understand what's going on during the commentary. So I guess I'll have to consider R2 UK too. Or both, depending on the differences, as Rich asks.
    Which brings me to ask this - for those who order R2 dvds, is there a search, a la www.dvdpricesearch.com for US dvds, that will list best prices from R2 online stores?
    I've decided to go ahead and permanently set my iMac to region 2. Bring them on!

11. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Rich, here are the features for the region 2 release:

Feature length commentary with director Alfonso Cuaron. Deleted scenes. Cast and crew biographies. Making-of featurette (22 mins). 4 track play-list. Short film ‘Me La Debes’ by Alfonso Cuaron (12 mins). Trailers. Poster images. Awards list. TV and radio spots. Featurette entitled ‘No One Under 17’ that re-cuts the film so that it is suitable to watch by a younger audience (lasts 3 mins!). Screenplay extracts.

This DVD also includes a 64 page book created exclusively for the UK DVD and written by Alfonso Cuaron and Carlos Cuaron, called ‘Y Tu Mama Tambien – The Biographies’ which gives a complete biography of the lead characters and Betsabé – the 1983 Le Baron station wagon.

12. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

The first set of French R2 Truffaut films released
    by mK2 has the Commentary tracks and supplements
    subtitled in English.
    I have The Last Metro, Jules & Jim, Two English Girls,
    (I am not sure about The Woman Next Door and Soft Skin).
    Then in typical French fashion, the remaining Truffaut
    films did not have English subtitles for the extras.
    (Why make things easy for us English speaking people)
    [​IMG]
    A real shame, since I was looking forward to their
    version of 400 Blows.

13. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Boo! But still, it's a really good film, so I will have to be happy with the film itself on DVD.

15. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Guess I'll be cancelling this and ordering the R2.

16. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

17. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know against which US version the R2 disc matches? Amazon lists unrated and rated R versions. The review cited by Enrique doesn't say. Comparing the versions, US R-rated is 100 minutes in length, while US unrated is 105 minutes. UK is 101. With the 4% PAL speed up, that would make it sound like the UK version was the same as the US unrated.

Anyone know for sure?

And what's a good place to order UK R2 discs in the US anyhow? I've only ordered from Amazon.co.uk.

Thanks.

18. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Thanks, Ted. And thanks for the .com footnote. I'm still trying to baby my FP iMac, so that .com trap would've been aggravating.

Yeah, and what Peter Yee asked.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The cheapest overall price appears to be Bensons World at $15.99 (in English pounds). That's about $25 US (shipping included in the price). Amazon.co.uk is around $1 more than Bensons.
    It might be worth $5-$10 more to get the subtitled commentary based on the review that was mentioned earlier in this thread afterall.

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer