Y Splitter for a sub.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Does anyone use a y splitter for there sub? I tried it with and without one. When I put it on it seemed like it rasied it 6db. Crazy! I even just used a cheap video cable with a Y splitter and it helped. Now Im using a monster Bass 400 cable.

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Don't need to use a Y cable for LFE- it just raises the gain. Only a Y cable need to use seperate Left & Right outputs (ie from a stereo integrated amp) to the SVS.

This is what I do..

MC-1 LFE Output, single RCA ------>Left input

Stereo integrated amp, stereo pre-outs -Y adaptor---RCA to RCA----> Right input

So I have LFE (xover disabled) and hifi (xover enabled, 40hz) for both uses.

3. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Oh so thats why it sounded "better"... it just tricks the amp into raising the gain more?

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

huh? [​IMG]

5. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

In the past I too have split the subwoofer signal with a y-adapter and it just raised the volume a little. Nothing to be gained here in terms of sound quality.

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

A Y splitter simply doubles the voltage input to the plate amp. When you double the voltage, the volume goes up 3 dB.

A Y splitter should only be used when the amp has a "sleepy" auto-on circuit and needs a bit more voltage to stay on during quiet passages. Of course the same thing can be accomplished by increasing the sub level at the AVR and the $15 will stay in your wallet. [​IMG]

I do use Y splitters at various stages of my test rig to measure various input and output voltages for calibration purposes. I don't use them at all for regular audio applications.