y-pb-pr compatible graphics card?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Strainj1, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Strainj1

Strainj1 Auditioning

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a video card that can output using the "y pb pr" standard? - i have tried to research it but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere...

i am planning to link up a computer to play movies through a $20,000 projector - and because of the distance the cabling needs to be to get to the projector, it can only be either DVI or y/pb/pr - except DVI cabling will apparently cost alot.....

i have sort of found video cards that can output with "y pb pr" but the seem to use the s-video port - isn't this extremley dodgey? or am i mistaken?

I need to have the best possible picture quality...... it's for a large theatre-like-room

2. Vivek_IVB

Vivek_IVB Stunt Coordinator

that's the regular component out, right?

Most ATI cards can do that via the purple dongle/VGA->component adapter they sell. I know the 9800 Pro can.

3. Strainj1

Strainj1 Auditioning

yeah that's right

y-pb-pr is the component output that uses the three RCA plugs coloured red green and blue (one for luminance and the other to for colour data)

so there's adaptors you can get that change DVI or standard computer RGB to y-pb-pr. That sounds great!

would there be any loss of quality?

thanks, Nils

4. Vivek_IVB

Vivek_IVB Stunt Coordinator

I don't do it, but in theory it shouldn't. Get a decent card, though.

5. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

It looks to me like the NVIDIA Quadro FX 540 has Component, S-Video and Composite output. Hope this helps!

6. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

If the projector cost that much, go with DVI and hang the extra expense of the cable. It's not that extreme anyway ; I believe some of the forum sponsors here, such as "Blue Jeans Cable", provide relatively inexpensive high-quality cables.