Y Interconnect - Distortion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Rendall, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Question: do you think a pair of Y interconnects (one for L, one for R) will degrade my CD player's RCA output? I want to split my CD signal into two different inputs. I don't mind a dB drop, as long as I'm not introducing distortion.

Thanks,
    Martin.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Distortion will not be a problem, only a slight signal drop.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Martin Rendall

Thanks! Great news.

Martin.

4. Todd Durham

Todd Durham Agent

I use 2 receivers with the second receiver only powering 3 sets of speakers in other rooms and have run into the exact problem that you bring up. Any type of signal through my cd player into the second receiver is distorted. I can run AM/FM, satellite feeds, or a cd from my DVD player and things sound great. Just havent had the time to sit and troubleshoot the problem with the cd player. Let me know if you have any good tips on this setup.

5. Martin Rendall

I just tried it out, and it seems to work great. Perhaps you should try switching around few interconnects - see if that's the problem.

Good luck,
    Martin.

6. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

The only issue would be that the loading on the source component would increase, as the impedance it sees it the input impedance of the two "receivers" in parallel.

Shouldn't be a problem in most cases.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Martin, I have been told on several occasions that splitting one component to two inputs is not a problem. That would use the type of Y-adapter with one pair of female inputs and two pairs of male connectors. By contrast, I have observed that splitting one set of inputs between two components is problematic. This involves a Y-adapter with two pairs of female inputs and one pair of male connectors. Using these connectors, I have observed a volume drop, even if only one of the components being split is turned on. Y-adapters simply don't work for this application.

This subject has been discussed quite a bit, so a search might prove helpful.