Y-ing the LFE? No Loss of Sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekM, Sep 28, 2001.

1. DerekM

DerekM Agent

I just purchased 4 Aura bass-shakers, and have been reading previous posts to figure out how in the world to hook them up. From what I understand, the proper connection requires a Y on the LFE (I only have 1 sub output), and an extra amplifier (I am going to use an old Dolby PL receiver). My question is, isn't there some type of Signal Loss by Y-ing the LFE output? If not, then am I correct in my connections? I guess I will daisy-chain them together in pairs and hook them up to the speaker terminals. Also, where can I get a 50 hz low pass filter? Been looking, but to no avail. Thanks in advance for the help! [​IMG]

2. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

There is no signal loss, it is just weaker. It doesn't make any difference as you are sending it to an amplifier before the sound is reproduced.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

3. Jerold Burrow

Jerold Burrow Auditioning

Hi Derek -
    I just picked up a pair of the Aura's from Ubid. I bought a used NAD 2240PE 2-channel amplifier from a local audio store to drive them. I Y-ed the LFE output from my receiver -- as you are thinking of doing. The LFE level did drop some, but I just increased the gain on my sub to compensate.
    I found an electronic 3-way crossover for about $30 bucks over at RadioShack. It has low-level inputs/outputs, selectable x-over frequencies, and a bass gain control. The downside is that it is designed for a car stereo system so I had to buy a 12 volt power supply for about $15 bucks too. Come to think of it, I probably spent another $10 bucks on misc. cables and splitters as well.
    SIDE NOTE:
    I'm not sure if the manual covers it (I guess I should read it), but I found that mounting the bass-shakers to fire vertically works better than if they are mounted to fire horizontally.
    At any rate, good luck and have fun with your project! I know I did.
    ------------------
    Jerold Burrow

4. DerekM

DerekM Agent

So, there is some signal loss, huh? Any idea where I can buy an outboard crossover so my auras won't be over-zealous? (online?) I hear that is basically their only problem. I haven't heard anything about mounting them vertically or horizontally - which is better?

5. Dennis Kindig

If you buy the Aura Interactor Vests and strip out the transducers, they come with their own amplifier, complete with level and rolloff adjustments.
    The last batch I bought were $5.50 each.
    Dennis

6. DerekM

DerekM Agent

Any idea where I can find these Interactor Vests? What are they, and how many do I need...........do they work as well as an extra receiver, or better?