"Y" connector for sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Williams, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

What is the real advantage, if any, for using a "Y" connector on a DLS 10 sub? I have seen many posts that suggest that you use a "Y" connector, but if one RCA connector has the same info as two, what is the advantage?

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

There is no advantage. This is a myth. When using a Y, the sub amp sums identical signals to give you more volume. Sounds great, but the next thing you have to do is bleed that extra volume off (by dropping the receiver's dub trim)to get back to calibration. Your right back where you started except that there is another connection jack to cause problems.

3. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i think the y connector is used when people need extra voltage to trigger the auto-on circuitry in subs that use the auto switch. its not necessary unless you have that specific problem.

4. Matt Nevala

Matt Nevala Stunt Coordinator

well, with my DLS, i have the Y connector and ive taken it off and listened to it w just the one rca...there was a quite noticable difference and for like $7 it was well worth it.

my .02