What's new

Y-connector for speaker cable? (1 Viewer)

Danny_JP

Grip
Does such a thing exist? Im looking to connect two different recievers to the same set of speakers (4 sattelite, Subwoofer and center) and I need some kind of a switchbox or just 6 Y-connectors for speaker cable. Ive been looking around forever and cant find anything. Any help would be great.

Danny_JP

Grip
Does such a thing exist? Im looking to connect two different recievers to the same set of speakers (4 sattelite, Subwoofer and center) and I need some kind of a switchbox or just 6 Y-connectors for speaker cable. Ive been looking around forever and cant find anything. Any help would be great.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You should not use Y-connectors or make three way splices to share speakers between two amps. Amp damage could occur even if one of the amps is turned off.

See if Radio Shack has speaker selector switches. At least they used to many years ago. You could connect these switches backwards to connect two amps to one speaker.

You could use an audio switch box, carefully soldering RCA plugs to the ends of the speaker cables (carefully to minimize melting the insulation and causing shorts due to the increased heat needed to solder 12 gauge wire.) A few inches of 14 or 16 gauge wire, if needed to reach into the center prong of the RCA plug won't hurt.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You should not use Y-connectors or make three way splices to share speakers between two amps. Amp damage could occur even if one of the amps is turned off.

See if Radio Shack has speaker selector switches. At least they used to many years ago. You could connect these switches backwards to connect two amps to one speaker.

You could use an audio switch box, carefully soldering RCA plugs to the ends of the speaker cables (carefully to minimize melting the insulation and causing shorts due to the increased heat needed to solder 12 gauge wire.) A few inches of 14 or 16 gauge wire, if needed to reach into the center prong of the RCA plug won't hurt.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
There are a/b switches, though most are made for pairs of speakers, not 6 of them. Take a look at www.nilesaudio.com and you should be able to find something similar to what you are looking for.

CJ

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
There are a/b switches, though most are made for pairs of speakers, not 6 of them. Take a look at www.nilesaudio.com and you should be able to find something similar to what you are looking for.

CJ

Danny_JP

Grip
Well, basically, one of my recievers does not have a digital input/output but its also a 5 disk DVD/CD player as well as being a reciever. I wanted to connect a second reciever to my system, one that had digital connections (cause I need em). All the products I can find are "x speaker systems to one reciever" kind of stuff. Nothing going the other way.

I think I found something that works on that site you gave me cornelius. Thank you :). Its the first time ive seen anything like it. It connects two amplifiers/recievers to one pair of speakers. Now, I have 6 speakers, but theoretically I could use 3 of these connectors right? One for the front sattelite speakers, one for the surround, and one for the center and Subwoofer... Would that work?

Danny_JP

Grip
Well, basically, one of my recievers does not have a digital input/output but its also a 5 disk DVD/CD player as well as being a reciever. I wanted to connect a second reciever to my system, one that had digital connections (cause I need em). All the products I can find are "x speaker systems to one reciever" kind of stuff. Nothing going the other way.

I think I found something that works on that site you gave me cornelius. Thank you :). Its the first time ive seen anything like it. It connects two amplifiers/recievers to one pair of speakers. Now, I have 6 speakers, but theoretically I could use 3 of these connectors right? One for the front sattelite speakers, one for the surround, and one for the center and Subwoofer... Would that work?

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it is a little cumbersome, but it would work. Also, as Allan stated, you can also use a speaker selector in reverse.

CJ

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it is a little cumbersome, but it would work. Also, as Allan stated, you can also use a speaker selector in reverse.

CJ

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
Does the reciver with the disc player in it have audio outs? Perhaps it would be easier to hook it up that way.
Honestly you'd probably be better off buying another DVD changer rather than trying to make this work.
I just checked Crutchfield's web site and the Niles pieces are around $100.00 each and Parts Express offers a similar item for about $80.00 each. I think for that kind of money you would be much better off getting a new dvd changer which can be had for about $150.00 rather than trying to make your existing unit work in your system.
JMO

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
Does the reciver with the disc player in it have audio outs? Perhaps it would be easier to hook it up that way.
Honestly you'd probably be better off buying another DVD changer rather than trying to make this work.
I just checked Crutchfield's web site and the Niles pieces are around $100.00 each and Parts Express offers a similar item for about $80.00 each. I think for that kind of money you would be much better off getting a new dvd changer which can be had for about $150.00 rather than trying to make your existing unit work in your system.
JMO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks