What's new

Y-adapters do NOT work for both DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD. (1 Viewer)

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,
On the 5.1 inputs on the Yamaha do they go through its pre-amp section? If so it may be increasing noise+distortion and even effecting relative channel balance depending upon how well its volume control tracks all 6 channels.
"relative to some other potential solutions, though the Radio Shack boxes are still cheaper."
Heck, some people will suggest a 6 channel $3200 pre-amp as a solution.
wink.gif

All depends upon what you are looking for and the quality level desired. For example the relays in my switch box alone cost more then the complete R/S box.
Philip,
"Also, there is a resistor on each channel. I'm not sure if that's there for the 75 ohm "composite video" channel or not. It may be just to eliminate crosstalk between selections."
If it is on each channel it is probably there as insurance against any sort of noise when you switch sources. It will drop the level through the box (how much will vary upon the input impedance of your amp) and might reduce channel seperation. How much again depends upon the input impedance of your amp.
Shawn

Michael_T

Second Unit
Keith,
It looks like you found a happy medium between buying a totally new component and having to switch cables. I am tempted to try these switch boxes also, but I don't really find switching cables with the RCA cable extenders to be that hard at all.
Personally, I think I will stay with the more direct approach (cables to analog input), then go through a switch box that has an extra part or two inside (like a resistor).
Like you, I am not really willing to upgrade my receiver since it is only about 5 months old or so (Integra 6.2) - not unless I win the lottery.
It is really curious though, that we talk about spending quite a bit of money on fairly good interconnects, yet we are willing to put a $15 switch box between them or a $9 cable extender? I am sure that if I were using interconnects that cost $400 a meter I would be very hesitant about cable extenders or switch boxes.
Anyway, if we are happy with what we hear coming out of the speakers, that is what really matters.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Philip,
I guess I did miss your posts about the selector boxes. Oh well. Glad to hear that they are working for you two. Frankly, seeing as the boxes I bought were $15 each, I wouldn't expect to see anything good "under the hood". However, they certainly do the job. Again, I detect no sound degradation.
Shawn said:
quote: On the 5.1 inputs on the Yamaha do they go through its pre-amp section? If so it may be increasing noise+distortion and even effecting relative channel balance depending upon how well its volume control tracks all 6 channels.[/quote]
I don't have the Yamaha unit, nor have I ever seen it, so I can't comment on how it works.
quote: Heck, some people will suggest a 6 channel $3200 pre-amp as a solution.
All depends upon what you are looking for and the quality level desired. For example the relays in my switch box alone cost more then the complete R/S box.[/quote]
My modest surround sound set-up isn't worth $3200, so a $30 solution was about all I could justify. The beauty of the Radio Shack boxes is that they are easy to set up, they are cheap, and they cause no sound degradation. I couldn't ask for more, unless they were free. :)
Michael,
The problem with the cable extenders for me was that they were hard to get to. I have a real rat's nest of cables behind the entertainment center, and getting back there is a real pain in the neck.
It is really curious though, that we talk about spending quite a bit of money on fairly good interconnects, yet we are willing to put a $15 switch box between them or a $9 cable extender? I am sure that if I were using interconnects that cost $400 a meter I would be very hesitant about cable extenders or switch boxes.
LOL. It's true. However, I take a relatively modest approach to my home theater set-up versus my stereo set-ups. For one thing, I love music, and stereo music at that. On the other hand, I don't get much time to watch DVDs, and I also have very little surround-sound music relative to the number of CDs I own. So, I don't put too much money into my home-theater set-up like I do my stereo systems. From that standpoint, $30 for switch boxes suits me fine.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on November 14, 2001 at 09:04 PM]

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Keith:
I haven't read the replies, just your question.
I would give this a try: get 2 inexpensive A/V switchers from Radio Shack (they'll take them back if you don't like result).
Switcher A
* Input #1 (3 RCA Plugs) front 3 speakers for SACD
* Input #2 (3 RCA Plugs) front 3 speakers for DVDA
* Output (3 RCA Plugs) to Receiver 5.1 input
Switcher B
* Input #1 (3 RCA Plugs) 2 surrounds + sub for SACD
* Input #2 (3 RCA Plugs) 2 surrounds + sub for DVDA
* Output (3 RCA Plugs) to Receiver 5.1 input
If you want to listen to SACD, press inputs #1 on both switchers.
If you want to listen to DVDA, press inputs #2 on both switchers.
Will sound quality be affected? Let your ears decide. This is a cheap $ solution.
Rich B.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Keith:
Wow. I guess there is something to that "great minds think alike" saying. :)
I was in a rush and didn't feel like doing all that reading. Glad to read you found a solution.
Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks