What's new

y adapter with single cable for subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Sam Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
I have a velodyne cht-10. I am using a single sub cable from bluejeans from my receiver to the red input on the subwoofer. I was wondering if using a Y adapter intot he subwoofer to go intot he white and red would change anything, I thought I read something about this...
sam

Kaj

Stunt Coordinator
It'll boost the volume/responsivness a bit and maybe you might even pick up a slightly better/cleaner output. But the difference isn't all that huge. Well not to me anyway :)

you can pick up a Y adapter fairly cheap, so give it a go, you may like the improvment. though once you've connect the adapter, you'll probably leave it.

there is a difference, someone may be able to explain the more technical side of it though, for both our sakes :)

cheers

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Using the Y will give you more input voltage at the sub, which should give you a bit cleaner output, but will not really increase your SPL after calibration. I recommend using the Y.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Sam, How do you like the Velo? I saw you poste it on a few of the threads I had posted on subs. JandR just had the CHT-10 or 12 for $200. They were both the same price but both had like $50 shipping charges.

I still have not decided but would like to know your thoughts. I read some good reviews on the sub but saw one negative which said the driver had a foam surround and did not appear to be top-notch.

How does it perform in your set-up?

bryan A

Agent
Dorian,

I just bought the velodyne cht-10 a few weeks ago and so far I am pleasantly surprised with it. It sound really crisp. I used to own a kenwood sub (which I know that is was not a good sub too boomy) but the veoldyne sub does not sound to boomy at all.

Chuck Mullen

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Velodyne CHT-10. The documentation that came with it says to use a Y adapter if the "auto-on" is not sensitive enough. I am not using the Y adapter currently but it's cheap enough to get one even if it's only a small difference.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
...which is functionally the same as increasing it’s gain control. Basically, there’s no good reason to use one, unless for some reason you can’t get a strong enough signal.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Sam: Use the Y-connection option. As Chuck said, it helps with the Auto On/Off operation.

Dorian: I've had my CHT-12 for over a year and I still like it a lot. It's one of the best subs available for < $250!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

It is not exactly the same thing, because you are just turning the gain up on the sub to amplify a weaker signal, sort of like turning your TV up for a channel that is not as loud. This means you are now leaving yourself with less gain adjustment and slightly decreased available headroom.

As noted, my sub, and a number of others, will also occasionally turn off during quiet passages if the input voltage is too low - the auto on sensor thinks there is no signal when there is not a lot of bass heavy activity. This depends on how the sub handles summing of the inputs as well and in some cases simply turning the gain up at the receiver for a single connection will not solve the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks