What's new

Xxx (1 Viewer)

Travis D

Second Unit
For his jobs in Pitch Black and Saving Private Ryan I'd say he is now Sam Jackson lite or Van Damme with better acting skills. (as opposed to Van Damme's lack thereof) Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but he's not exactly gonna steer me toward or away from a movie. He'll just... be there.

BTW - I'm the member with the heteorsexual man-crush on Brad Pitt, not David Fincher. But... depending on how good Panic Room is, I might be extending that list.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Vin Diesel could very well be the successor to such aging action stars as Sylvester Stallone, Ahnuld, etc. I think he can act, though, and hope he gets a chance to prove it.
I've seen a bit of a Bogart thing going on with him in some of his movies, would like to see him do a straight crime drama like 7even or whatever.
Did anyone catch how he was sorta pu**ywhipped by Letty in F&F?

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Hey now folks...you have to admit, Vin was good in "The Iron Giant"

Actual quotes:

"Rock", "Tree"

Now that's acting people!!!

Mike

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, I have to chime in here. I really like Vin and I own Iron Giant and Pitch Black, but have never seen F&F. I guess as far as his acting abilities, maybe I'm not a good judge, but cartoon or not, Vin can make me blubber like a baby in Iron Giant. "Superman" :frowning: :b

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Do you guys like Vin because he's cool, because you like his films, or because you think he can act? Just curious. Trying to figure out why we differ. I have nothing against him personally, but I don't like his films, and I don't think he could act his way out of a paper bag. That's why I don't like him.
I thought he was great in Boiler Room...I think that he can act...and, of course, there is the "Bad-ass Factor".

Terrell,

Not to start another "thing" , but when hasn't he acted his way out of a paper bag. What was he so awful in?

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Terrell, Not to start another "thing" , but when hasn't he acted his way out of a paper bag. What was he so awful in?
No disrespect to Terrell, but boy, in keeping with some previous "discussions" we've had, the comment, that the above is referencing, is plainly ludicrous. For one, Vin hasn't had IMO any roles yet that challenge him as an actor. So, NO ONE can reasonably comment on his acting skills. At present hes done a few bit parts and soe action/sci-fi! He's also written and directed an award-winning independent feature. And clearly, Spielberg thought he could "act"! So sorry, Terrell, but you've dropped another absurd statement, possibly just to provoke argument, with all of the obvious Vin supporters around here!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Paul on that one. Vin has yet to put himself in a role where he had to be anything more than HIM. He does fine at that. Nothing to write home about, but it's how Arnold got going and it worked for him.
To me Vin has more promise than Arnold but less than Clint as an actor. But so far he has not been in that position.
He was the only good thing in both Pitch Black and FnF, 2 films I thought were just south of average.
The crying from Iron Giant was the story, not his acting. He simply didn't have enough room with his voice acting to do that. Whether or not he could have is yet to be seen.
But the cool factor SHOULD keep him getting roles. You have that natural talent you keep getting plate appearences. Like a HR hitter with a bad average. Sometimes you take the chance by putting them in, you lose the gamble 80% of the time, but when you get contact it wins the game.
Like make 5 $20m films with him. 4 bomb but one makes $150m mainly because of his presence, you are ahead. And his charisma his hitting better than .200 right now. :)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
It also stars Samuel L. Jackson
I thought his name was Samuel Mutha fuckin' Jackson? Where did the "L" come from?;)
Terrell,
I like Vin because he's cool, not because he can act. And while I think he's cool, I thought "The Fast and the Furious" sucked big donkey... ears. So it goes to show that even though I think he's cool, I don't like all of his films. And he's really only been in action films and we all know that you don't really need to act good to be in those. That's why they are refered to as, "dumb action movies."

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Brad, regardless of what Paul thinks I was trying to do, it wasn't to start an argument. I was trying to get some thoughts on him, and compare them to mine. Thanks for your thoughts.:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
My apologies Terrell! I guess you weren't tyring to pick a fight!... You're still wrong though!;)
Btw, you're approaching the big 1k! Wayda go man! You should hit it by your 2 month anniversary!:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
That's quite alright Paul. I respect your right to disagree and think I'm wrong.:) I've slowed down quite a bit over the last 10 days though. Have gotten over the flu.

Kami

Screenwriter
Vin Diesel has already been added to a list I call the Matthew Chmiel's List of Badass Mother Fuckers That Are Some of the Coolest People In Hollywood. That list also includes such celebs like Samuel L. Jackson and Lawerence Fishburne.
Haha, Damn right.

Vin was a total badass in Pitch Black...he made that movie. That scene with him drinking under the umbrella says it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks