xXx disk question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Getson, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

I picked up this disk and watched it on my 36" 4:3 tv. I couldn't help but wonder what happends to the subtitles if you're watching it on a 16:9 screen (HDTV or Projector). On my tv, the words were at the very bottom of the black bars. If they were in the same spot of a 16:9 screen, they would be off the screen completely. I've read that these subtitles are from the player, not from the actual print. Are they still visable on a 16:9 screen? I only ask this because I intend to one day, in the semi-near future, purchase a projector and worry (probably needlessly) about these oddities. Why wouldn't the subtitles be put directly onto the print as they were in the theatre? grr.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Since your DVD player will be set for a 16x9 screen, all machine generated subtitles will appear correctly. I have a Tosh 56H80 and the subs were fine for xXx. The problem arises with non-anamorphic 2:35 films with subs burned into the black bars (i.e. the first version of "Last of the Mohicans"). For these films my TV has a setting that allows you to raise/lower zoomed material.

The reason subs are not burned in is because subs are often coded for each language track. For instance, it makes no sense to display English subs for a French audio track. I don't agree, but I see the reasoning.

3. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I hate player generated subs, I think it makes the dvd look cheap. They are destroying their dvd's presentation for a very small audience, french candadians that don't speak fluent english. I'm not saying these people should be left out but their is nothing wrong with leaving the burned in subs in and so they see both the english and the french subs generated by the player.