XVCDs on RP91: Here's What I Did

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Chick, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Ben Chick

Ben Chick Agent

Dec 28, 2000
    I finally figured out a good formula for making XVCDs that look awesome on the RP91. Just take the parameters of a VCD and increase the video data bitrate to 1700. Here's the settings I used on some Verbatim datalife CDRW media (CDRs should work fine, but I was doing a bunch of testing):

Output Format : MPEG1 System

Total Data Rate : 1924 kbits/sec

--- Video Settings ---

Data Rate : 1700 kbits/sec

Image Size : 352 pixel X 240 pixel

Frame Rate : 29.97 frame/sec

--- Audio Settings ---

Data Rate : 224 kbits/sec

Sampling Frequency : 44100 Hz

Channel : Stereo

The standard VCD data bitrate is 1150kbps, but I found 1700 to work for optimum playback of a 45second clip I encoded and played on the RP91. I will do some more experimentation to see the limit of the data bitrate without compromising playback for longer clips. I tried a datarate of 2000kbps and the audio kept breaking up with a stunted motion picture, so somewhere between 1700 and 2000, we may be able to squeeze a bit more quality into a fully functional XVCD.

I can't get SVCDs to play for anything in the RP91, but these XVCDs look like VHS quality. The standard VCD parameters look really blocky on my 55" widescreen set.

Anyone want to do some more experimentation and see if we can come up with the perfect formula for XVCDs and possibly working SVCDs without stunted playback?
  2. Peter L

Peter L Extra

Jan 16, 2002
    what CD encoding and utility did you use to burn the xvcd onto the cdr?