What's new

Xtasy GeForce4 Ti4600, Good? (1 Viewer)

Lisa Space

Grip
Xtasy GeForce4 Ti4600, Good?

I want to know which is the best video card I could buy for my Cpu. I want to hook up my PC to a 61 Sony HD ready . Would the above card look well on that TV? I want to be able to surf the net, done photo/video editing and play some games on the tv. What programs are out, that I would need to make this work? And if I left anything out please feel free to add. Thanks so much for the help. If this is not the card of choice for a Cpu hooked upto a big screen, then what is?

Lisa Space

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
The GeForce 4 4600 is the best card out there for playing games, but for video-out performance and video editing it's hard to beat the Link Removed. I believe it even comes with all the software you will need for editing, granted there not top of the line programs.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
What speed and brand is your CPU? Theres no use getting a high end card if your processor and mainboard are going to choke it. Also what games do you want to play?

Sure the Ti4600 card is nice, but its really just a gaming card, for everything you want to do you will be better off with the Radeon 8500 AIW DVI.

Drew Wimmer

Stunt Coordinator
here's another vote for the ati 8500 aiw, supposedly they're gonna make a DVI - Component adapter so you'll be able to connect it directly to a HDTV

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend the ATI as well, particularly for video/editing work. The GeForce 4, while really nice for game, has very inconsistent quality control when it comes to video image quality. Many of the card manufacturers use cheapo-crap components, particularly with the card's RFI filters. I recently took back an Asus 8400 Geforce 4 card because black-on-white text had yellow smears at any resolution above 1280x1024, and was blurry even at 1024x768. Garbage.

I replaced it with a Visiontek Xtasy GeForce 4 TI4400...the image quality is good, but not as good as my modded Geforce 2 GTS (I removed the RFI filters from it).

If you play a lot of 3D games, however, the Xtasy should be okay. Be sure the store has a good return and exchange policy, in case your card has crap RFI components.

Lisa Space

Grip
Is the All in Wonder Radeon 8500DV the newest model out, or is there another model with more mem cause this one only has 64. So just so I understand, this model is the best for surfing (reading text) , video/photo editing? Thanks again.

Also My cpu is 120 gig hard, 1.8 Ghz 512 ram

Lisa Space

Drew Wimmer

Stunt Coordinator
Lisa-

there's a newer 128mb version, that also has a DVI out, in fact it's native video output is DVI which makes me think it's probably got the same visual quality as the 8500DV (it'd probably pay to do some research on this, that last bit is just speculation on my part)

Lisa Space

Grip
I dont want to come off wrong. But I would have thought that everyone here hooks up there PC to their tv. So that being said, why can noone really give me an answer as to which video card they would recommend on a big screen. And which software they use to help that quality. Thanks again

Lisa Space

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Lisa
I have a Radeon 8500dv and I have it connect via S-video to my TV and for video playback I use PowerDVD. There is also some very handy information available on the forums at Rage3d.
The 8500dv is a nice card for editing, gaming, and presentation. You will need to tweak it to your system specs and find the driver set that works best for you.
While there is some troubleshooting and tweaking involved with using the 8500dv, it is well worth the effort in my opinion.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Lisa, many of us don't always hook up our TV to the PC using s-video. I have an Audio Authority SVGA-to-component output adapter, which I use to (rarely) attach my PC to my 40" RPTV. But, I am not satisfied with the color saturation when used in combination with my Geforce 4 Ti4400, and haven't had time to tweak it so that it doesn't look like crap (but would look wonderful to the average person!). It is extremely time consuming if you use anything other than s-video...I figure I need to spend at least 24 hours tweaking the TV or the PC settings to get good quality.
Keep in mind that some of us are hardcore tweakers...we are far more picky, and make life hard on ourselves! I spent 3 days (5 hours per day) calibrating my RPTV, and spent another few days tweaking my PC's HDTV video timings to get it working on my RPTV. And I still don't like it. :)
I suggest the ATI card for decent video playback, ease-of-use, and should be excellent for s-video output. If you plan on using a high-end projector for professional quality movie presentation, then you're in a different world, and will never get a straight answer from us geeks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks