What's new

XP won't recognize firewire input? HELP! (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just started having a strange problem while trying to capture some DV.

I have a Panasonic Palmcorder PV-DV401 that's worked perfectly from the day I bought it. I'm using a fairly new Dell computer running Windows XP.

Normally, all I have to do is plug the DV camera into the computer's firewire card. Then the computer recognizes the camera, and everything works just fine.

I plugged my camera in, and nothing happened. I checked in the device manager, which said that the firewire card was working fine - yet it wasn't detecting my DV cam.

I tried removing the firewire driver and then letting Windows reinstall it automatically when the computer was rebooted. It did that fine, but it still doesn't recognize my camera being plugged in.

I tried three different cables to make sure it wasn't a cable problem. I also used my ADVC-100, and it didn't recognize that either, so it's not the fault of the camera.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions you might have -- my email address is [email protected] if you would prefer to email me privately.

Thank you for your time,

Josh

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Does your firewire card have more than one port? Did you try plugging the camera into a different port if so?

Were you required to install special drivers for your camera? Maybe you need to reinstall camera drivers.

Also, when I go to the Device Manager and plug in my external firewire DVD writer, a new entry is made in the device manager list called "SBP2 IEEE 1394" devices". I expand the list and I see an entry called "SBP2 Compliant IEEE 1394 Device". Double-clicking on it and pressing "Driver Details..." tells me it uses the "C:WindowsSystem32Driverssb2port.sys" driver. The dialog box says it is part of XP Service Pack 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks