What's new

XP Upgrade- no sound, I'm stumped! (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
All,
I've been working on an upgrade from Win98 to XP (not a clean install- I know, I know), and I can't get the sound card to work.
The system is a Gateway PIII-600, with an AGP Voodoo3 card, and Sound Blaster Live! Value. Initially, in Win98, both the video and sound were on IRQ11, but worked fine. Card was in PCI slot 2.
I do the upgrade and no sound, but XP says everything is installed correctly. I go to Creative, get the latest drivers, and install. No sound.
Fine. I delete the card from XP, reboot and let it reinstall. It still goes to IRQ11, still no sound.
Fine, fine. I remove the card from XP, then from PCI slot 2, and put it in slot 3. Reboot, and it reinstalls at IRQ5, and I update the latest drivers. NO SOUND!
I'm at a loss. What gives? I run the same card on my PIII-667 with no issues. There seems to be no conflicts. Nothing else is sharing the IRQ. Windows says there is nothing wrong. I've been working with the system today via Remote Assistance, and it won't send sounds over to me, either. Yes, I've checked the Mute.:)
One thing that is curious- the computer has a Promise ATA-66 card for the HD. It was built like this from Gateway, even though it has onboard primary/secondary IDE?? There are 4 total IDE devices- HD, Zip, DVD, CD-RW- just like my PC, only I use onboard only.
HELP!
Todd

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Try getting the sound card updates directly from Gateways website. I had this same problem and I had to download the drivers for my sound card through Gateways website. I believe that have some sort of proprietary drivers. Try this and see if it works.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
This happened to me two weeks ago. I had to do a full system recovery.

~T

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
It may sound silly but after reinstalling XP I found that the the master volume in the Audio HQ Control Panel applet is turned all the way down.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I checked the mixer, and any place I could think of that had any sort of mute function.
I don't think there are any proprietary drivers, as this is a stand alone SB Live Value card, not built in. I couldn't find any.

Tomorrow morning, I will drive across town (AGAIN) with my SB Live and a new/old video card (ATI Xpert2000 lying around) in hand. I think I'm going to remove that useless Promise card, too, and move the drive to the onboard IDE.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I found it. Apparently, even though the digital output worked fine for Win98, it would not play for XP. I checked all digital output settings, etc, but when I plugged the analog in into the card- Sound!

I wish I would've thought of this the first day. How embarrassing for a longtime troubleshooter.:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks