What's new

XP speed to a crawl (1 Viewer)

Willi W

Auditioning
When I installed XP Pro I was drilled how fast it would boot
Now, a few month down the road, I can go for a coffee when I have to restart
I don't have to many apps installed and I use only a few regular. I also defragmented the drives - still very, very, very slow to boot
Any ideas what to do?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Did you do a complete system level defrag? You need a third-party defrag tool to do it because it defrags at boot.

Took almost a day on my computer, but that's because it's a slow machine. Was certainly worth it when it finished.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
If you reformatted when you installed XP, and it was only a few months ago, I can't imagine that you'd really have a fragmentation issue.......

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
If it is only happening on boot, then it is having problems loading a driver or starting a service. You don't happen to have a Compaq USB keyboard, do you?

SteveA

Supporting Actor
What's the story with Compaq USB keyboards and XP? My wife has a Compaq with XP and it frequently freezes when booting up.

Willi W

Auditioning
I installed on a newly formatted hard drive.
What 3rd party defrag program do you recommend?
I use no Compaq USB keyboard, I am still PS/2
The boot process is fine until it hit's the desktop. When the desktop appears is when it slows down. I have a few things like ZoneAlarm, McAfee, PowerStrip, that get loaded but they where there from the beginning on and then everything went fast. Now it can take up to 2 or 3 minutes from the time the desktop appears until everything has loaded.
If it wasn't such a drag to re-install everything I would do it in a sec

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Willi,
Check out www.tweakxp.com for a couple of tips on how you could possibly speed up your system. I've managed to find a few hints on keeping processes from starting AUTOMATICALLY on that site and you may be in the same boat.
Hope this helps.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
DisKeeper is about the best 3rd party defrager and it does allow you to defrag your boot sector, which is not possible in the OS-included defrag software.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of Internet connection do you have? Broadband? DSL? Have they changed in the recent past from one to the other? I have had the same issue since I made the switch from cable modem to DSL. WinXP automatically tries to contact the net when it starts up, with a cable modem, no issue, it is always on the second the system starts. But with DSL, you are not on until you start the dial-up, so you have to wait for the network check to time out, this can lead to what seems like a system hang for a minute or two.

KC

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it has to do with programs in the startup....

run msconfig

start ---> Run... ---> type msconfig, press enter (OK)

select the startup tab and uncheck ALL OF EM

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Might also recommend to get a copy of ad-aware and see if any spyware loading up might slow it down, my neighbor's computer had about 60+ spyware and it slowed it down tremendously until they were removed.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Try disabling the antivirus program, so that it will not run on bootup. Antivirus software absolutely kills PC performance, and might be contributing to your boot problem.

I second running adaware to get rid of other nasties!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks